Saturday, July 14, 2007

I Believe in You


Photograph by Ross Yates.

I've always found summer to be magical in Minnesota.
The morning dew twinkles like crystal. The sun coaxes flower buds open and you can practically see Thumbelina posing on the stamen on her teeny tippy-toes. Spiders weave gossamer webs strung with diamond dew.
When I was a child, I not only read but lived in a fairy tale. I was one of those earnest bookworms who didn't understand that fantasy was different from reality. Real life magic all around me still casts its charm. I sometimes still find myself looking for fairies and pixies and sprites and brownies--those little folk that I'm sure I saw with my own eyes when I was younger.
In fact, one of the happiest parts of being a mother has been to plant my favorite fairy visions in the imaginations of my three children. Each of them, wide-eyed, has independently reported spotting a fairy house and fairy royalty. We have examined gardens, nests, holes, rock piles, woods, beaches and more in our pursuit of these elusive creatures...or the detritus they leave behind as they flee our curious gazes.
I'm down to just one child who is still buying what I'm selling and she's becoming a bit of a reluctant consumer all of a sudden.
However, the Lake Harriet Elf has gone a long way in keeping her Believer Status intact.
Mine too, in fact.
Do you know about the Lake Harriet Elf? He's been around for more than a decade, in his house just west of the steps on Oliver Avenue South.
He calls himself Mr. Little Guy, but does reveal that his given name is Thom. He and his family live in an unassuming ash tree in between the bike path and the walking path on Lake Harriet. The tree is unremarkable in that it is no different from scores of such strong and slender trees that line that stretch of lake.
What separates this tree from the others is the small door at its base. Cunningly fashioned of wood, it has a rounded shape and an infinitesimal doorknob. You need not be a student of the Brothers Grimm or Mr. H.C Anderson or Charles Perrault or any of the great purveyors of fairy tale literature in order to be familiar with this door. If you have ever once, even long ago, imagined that our world was jointly inhabited by Little Folk, then this door is familiar to you. It's a portal to something secret. And can't help but make you curious.
When we moved to Southwest Minneapolis two summers ago, the neighbor kids quickly led my then seven-year-old to the so called "ElfTree." I had heard of it, of course, had seen it, but was not fully aware of the lore and legend. I let my daughter take me there and allowed her to fill me in on the magical family residing in the tree.
Since then, we have been back many times. In keeping with tradition, my daughter left a note for the elf, asking about him and telling him about herself. Some days later, she got a personal reply from the elf, typed on silver paper about half the size of a standard business card. It still is fixed beneath a magnet on the family fridge.
I told her I could just see him, in his top hat, black suit and striped socks, typing away on a tiny typewriter.
My daughter looked at me like I was crazy. "He's half bald, Mom,' she informed me. "With red hair around the bottom. His suit is green. And he uses a little laptop."
With and without her, I have walked around Lake Harriet countless times and I always pause near the Elf Tree. In the summer, there are always flowers planted around it. Sometimes a wooden fence is installed to corral the flowers. There are always trinkets and treasures left there, and always letters. Children routinely drop off their missives and Mr. Little Guy issues his replies on those signature silver pages.
He and his family reside in the tree in the summer; he must be one of those prosperous elves who can make an exit during the cold months. He has been doing this for years, but has kept a low profile all the while.
It's enough to make me believe in him. As far as I can see, he has no agenda, no financial motivation. He is not trying to become Mr.LittleGuy, Inc, or market himself for the movies or commercial endorsement. He has never cashed in on his celebrity or the good will that he generates.
It's work, being Mr. Little Guy. Collecting those notes, writing back, all under the cover of the mist.
But imagine the payback.
The first walk I was able to take after my surgery, I hit the path at Lake Harriet and started walking with no destination in mind. I figured that once I got tired, I'd simply turn around and trudge home.
Without realizing it, my feet carried me to the Elf House. I plopped down on a nearby bench to watch the water and relax.
Instead, I spent a delightful half hour eavesdropping. Listening to young children, some squealing with curious pleasure, some wide-eyed and whispering in wonder. Some dropped off letters. Some talked to their parents about the details of the clothes the elf family wears or how their house must look deep inside the tree trunk.
While I was settled there, I saw three soldiers approach the tree. A woman, wearing an Army-green beret and fatigues, was accompanied by two men dressed identically. From the best my eavesdropping ears could make out (An aside: When you people are having interesting conversations, would you please SPEAK UP!) the woman was familiar with the Elf House and was sharing the story. The three of them squatted to study the door and the notes and the trinket treasures and each broke into child like grins. I resisted my urge to interview them (tragic professional liability) because I didn't want to interfere with their magical moment. I don't know if they have recently returned from a battle field...or are en route to one...but I know the men and women who wear the uniform need all the magic they can find.
I need my magic, too. I need to return to the ethos of my childhood, where I was deeply absorbed in possibility and had no interest or fear in the future. What surrounded me was simply enough.
I find rich pleasure in staring at that wooden door, knowing that someone who cares about magic lives behind it. It's true. He's real. He's goodness. He's helped me accept the wonder and joy that is all around us.
Mr. Little Guy and I have something in common, I have found. He gets letters and messages from complete strangers who express their fondness for him. That has been my experience as well this summer. Mr. Little Guy must keep going because it feels so good to get those good wishes. Feels so good to be believed in.
I'll sign this one off in homage to how Mr. Little Guy ends his notes...I couldn't say it any better than he can. To all of you who think of me, pray for me, send me your best and fervent wishes for health and healing, who believe I will beat this thing and survive to see the best that's ahead, I say, as he does:
"I believe in you."

9 comments:

Unknown said...

What a beautiful way to spend the day.....magical in fact. Your tale of the little guy reminds you- and your readers- to take time to enjoy the simple things and to wonder...and trust...that the man in the tree and the Lord above have it all figured out. Ours is to trust and believe.

Gentle hug- Heidi

Randee said...

Kevyn, I have been thinking about you all week. You started your chemo on my 35th birthday and you were on my mind all day. This writing is absolutely beatufiul, I have read it thru several times to savor it. I think of you often and when I heard your voice back on the air after your initial hiatus, if you could have seen the smile and heard the audible breath of relief I think you would have laughed to think someone "out there" so suprised herself with how much she missed you.

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you on the 12th. I've not walked the path you're walking these days...

Thanks for giving me a bit of prospective to what my troubles are.

Love ya GF.

Patty S. said...

My daughter and I walked around Lake Harriet yesterday afternoon and had a marvelous time. She's 15, so mom/daughter time is becoming more precious each day.

I thought of you, Kevyn, while we sat at the beach on the south end of the lake. The sailboats were magical to watch--I thought of you as a sailboat with a front yellow and blue sail glided across the lake. Very gracefully, going where the wind was taking her, yet ever so carefully steering in the direction she chose. Just like you're doing... You'll get there, and thanks for letting us come along for the ride.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

I think of you often as we are traveling the exact same path. I am a few months ahead of you on my treatment with a long journey in front of me too. It is just nice to know we are not alone.

I want to thank you for your writings as they bring such strength and encouragement to many of us and the beauty of your words are so uplifting.

I wish you well, guidance from God, love from friends, and many blessing.

keenieb said...

Dear Kevyn,

I saw a painting today at MIA's exibit of Northern Landscapes that elicted strong emotions from me.

The painting has faries rising out of a stream in the evening mist.
I can't remember the name of the artist but he expressed something that went straight to my heart. I wondered why I loved the painting so much. Wouldn't an art critic "critise" me for loving something so "twee"?

I came home afterwards and decided to check your blog and see how you were doing.

You were able to put into words what I couldn't

The painting wasn't "twee" at all.
.
Coinsidence? I think not.

Up with magic.

Thinking of you and sending healing thoughts.

Colleen up the street.

Anonymous said...

Love and acceptance are behind that door. All we have to do is believe.

I choose to believe........

Anonymous said...

surprising minutes pathway temple claire sequences pandeyit geographical governmental regenerating vigor
servimundos melifermuly

Unknown said...

I stumbled upon this wonderful story when I googled Lake Harriet fairy house. Looking forward to discovering the magic for myself. 59 isn't too old for an elf & a wee house! Thanks. Cindy