Friday, July 6, 2007

The Bathroom on the Bus

Next week, my youngest...the four-footer...the Spunkiest Nine-Year-Old in the Seven If Not The Twelve County Metro Area...will go to church camp for the first time. Sleepaway Camp. In the woods--far away!
She's tingling with excitement and anticipation about this adventure. Her older siblings found church camp to be among their happiest and most memorable experiences and she's ready to be chime in with her Me-Too on this.
But I don't think she quite comprehends what church camp is.
From all that The Bigs have said over the years, she understands that it's Fun, of course. That there are songs and cool counselors and sleeping bags. That it smells like pine needles and bug spray and that melty-Hershey-bar S'more/campfire scent.
She also has heard that there's God stuff, but it's not boring.
When you ask her about what she's thinking about going to camp, she locks onto one particular detail like she's a thirsty wood tick.
There's a bathroom on the bus!
It's a long ride to the North Shore and my little camper and her co-campers will ride in style. The church contracts with a commercial bus company to provide transportation. And, wisely, considering they are hauling dozens of child-sized bladders, they use a bus that has A Facility in the back.
Hey! A bathroom on the bus! Wow, right!?!
Basically, the four footer can't quite imagine or visualize what's at the end of the bus trip. That's all as hazy as the morning mist hanging over the lake. Will she make friends? Will she be homesick? Will there be bears, as she has heard rumored?
Not sure about that.
But, as I think I mentioned, there's a bathroom on the bus!
As I continue my own journey, I think about the parallels between what my little girl is about to experience and what's directly ahead for me.
I begin chemotherapy next Thursday, July 12th. I admit that I feel a corrosive, gut-eating fear about this. I read the pamphlets about the drugs and the chemo accounts in books and I hear about the experience from others who have gone through it. But even as I am counting down to it, it seems unreal. A part of me still can't believe that there isn't some way out of this. That there isn't someone else I could pay to do this for me.
Yeah, it's irrational.
Sometimes I even think that maybe I shouldn't do it. That it just doesn't make sense to poison myself in order to be cured.
But then my intellect trumps my fear and I remind myself of just how lucky I am to have the doctors, pharmacology and science to treat and defeat this disease.
I remind myself that I can do this. I must. I will. And I'll appreciate every blessed drop, for the chemo drugs will ultimately allow me to live the long life that I so desire. It will allow me to claim a future that is cancer-free.
Still, I have to work hard not to get hung up on the symptoms that may follow the administration of the chemotherapy. We've all heard the horror stories; some of you reading this may have experienced them or watched a love one suffer. Miserable nausea, often followed by weight gain because of the steroid anti-nausea medication. Hair loss, which I am assured of. Fatigue--a level of cosmic exhaustion that cannot be anticipated. Aches and pains. So-called 'chemo brain' which drops a fog over cognitive thinking and memory.
My doctor and others who have done what I am about to do assure me that, these days, chemotherapy can be well managed. People known to be truthful tell me that the misery is far, far less than what patients experienced in even the recent past. That, while it's no one's idea of Fun, it can all be tolerated.
All I can think about right now, though, is the bathroom on the bus.
I can't think about what will happen when I get to my destination--which is the other side of the chemotherapy. I don't know exactly what happens then. I am preoccupied with the first, next leg of my journey.
For my daughter, it's the focus on the novelty of the bus biffy. Me, I think about sitting in a room with an IV drip. I am focused on how I will fare, because everyone reacts to the chemo cocktail differently, depending on their own unique body chemistry.
I truly wish that my first chemo session was behind me. It will be a relief to know exactly what the experience will be and to have faced it. For me, it seems the unknown is the bear in the forest.
"The first chemo tells the tale," the kind-eyed nurse reassured me just this morning. "Once it's done, we'll know how you react. We'll see how you do and tinker with what you'll need to take care of you and make you feel good." She smiled sympathetically. "Everybody talks about the people who react badly. You don't hear nearly as much about the vast majority of patients, who do just fine."
I will be among that number, I'm sure. I will do just fine. I spend a fair amount of time these days, calming my restless mind and staying upbeat--or, when I can't do that, keeping my spirit in neutral. I want to be tough, not a complainer or a whiner. I want to accept this and not fight it.
I want to use the damn bathroom on the damn bus and get on with the journey so I can experience what church camp will be like. That's what I really want.

* * * * * * * * *

I have not written much in the past week. I have had a number of medical appointments--physical therapy for my arm, body scans, blood work. Between running around, working, and focusing on gathering my internal strength, I have made less time to ruminate on the blog.
I hope this will be a space where I can continue to process what I'm experiencing with those of you who are interested in hearing about it.
The radio show will continue to be a place where I go to get away from some of This. On my first show back after surgery, I promised you that I would not turn The Kevyn Burger Show into The Cancer Show. I want to talk, laugh, and get snarky like always. I need it--and need you to help me have fun!
For those of you who would like to hear a more personal, me-focused take on my experience, I offer the written word on the blog. The blog is meant to be an alternative way for me to interact with FM107 listeners. If what I write here is of little interest to you, I hope you will simply bypass the blog and will continue to listen to the show from 9 to 11 Monday through Friday. I hope to still be behind the microphone most days.
I do not want to become the face of breast cancer in the Twin Cities. I have become a reluctant expert on this disease. But, really, who would want to be the face of this disease? Who would want to become the go-to Survivor Girl?
I do realize that I am in an extraordinary situation...that, because I have lived my life on the public airwaves, I am in a unique position to raise awareness about breast cancer. I could do some good here. I could and I should.
To be honest, I don't yet know how--and when--I can use that position. I'll figure that out as I go. Right now, my sole focus in on healing and staying strong. So stay tuned and know that I'm pondering what my move will ultimately be.
Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all of you who have sent your prayers to me and my family. We feel the power of that wave of good wishes.
I know that many of you offer a positive thought or blessing in my direction as you cross the river. I feel it. I feel it. I feel it and I humbly thank you.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update!
L,L&R,
us

Sue Flaska said...

Kev,

I can honestly say that chemo was not as bad as I thought it would be. I remembered watching movies about people who had cancer (My Life, Etc) and thought that that was how it was going to be. And while it wasn't a walk in the park, I managed. What amazed me was feeling fine one minute, then hitting a wall and having to sleep. I stayed on top of my meds, even if I felt ok because I wanted to keep feeling ok. I never actually threw up (thank God) but had some rough patches.

The first and the fourth treatments were the hardest on me physically. I was told though when my hair was starting to fall out to use a vaccuum hose on my head, which I did, after having my hair shaved. I also used Dermaplast on my scalp when the hair folicles were dying as that, for what ever reason, was painful.

I think of you often, and just as often reflect on the fact that I went through the same thing. It seems like it was a lifetime ago, until something sparks a memory, then it was like yesterday. It's hard to find your new normal, some days I think I am still looking.

Thoughts and prayers your way!

Sue

Finding My New Normal said...

Kevyn,
Thanks for sharing your story. I love to hear stories of your kids, especially the 4-footer.

Your story today reminded me of a conversation I had recently with my 10-year-old nephew. He is a little fearful of new things. One of those things is flying even though he doesn't have any travel plans.

We were recently at a family gathering situated directly under the MSP airport flight path. Plane after plane after plane flew over the house. He remarked at how many planes there were.

I told him that that many planes and more fly in to our airport every day and yet the number of scary things or bad incidents that has happened is rare. In fact, I couldn't remember the last time there was a report of a crash, of landing gear not opening, of fire, etc.

His eyes got big as he realized that the thing he fears the most rarely happens and that flying might not be so bad after all.

Maybe that's the case here as well. Here's to your daughter's first time at sleep away camp and to your first time in the Chemo camp. May you both come through the experience with flying colors.

Amy

poodletail said...

I'm here with you.
Thanks for the update.

Anonymous said...

I worked in a Oncology clinic for 5 years and was amazed by the people/patients I met. I was shocked when I started there that the patients would be hooked up to their chemo and eating lunch at the same time. It wasn't what we always saw in the movies AT ALL. Laughing, talking, snacking, making great new friends, you will find unbelieveable support from everyone around you.
My assvice ;-) to you: stay on top of your antinausea meds, even if you think you're doing fine, sleep when you need it, not when it seems acceptable, eat when you can, eat what makes you feel better, just like morning sickness, some of our patients recommened peppermint and ginger for nausea, cry when you need to and laugh loud and long often, the chemo nurses really know their stuff never think any question is dumb, and if you get a chance to attend a Look Good Feel Better class definetly go, it ROCKS.
Good luck.

MaryT said...

Kevyn -

I still chuckle when I think about the woman who sent you an email when you were talking with your mom and told you that we didn't care about your stories and to get on with the show. You pointed out that you ARE the show. Funny, and true.

Don't worry too much about becoming the face of cancer, or if you're going to talk about cancer too much. Do whatever you want to, do whatever you're in the mood for that day, and do whatever you need to.

I listen to your show most days from work because I like you. Most of your show is conversation, so my guess is that MOST people are listening because they like you - period. I don't expect earth shattering information when I tune into your show (no offense :) ) - I just expect you, and some good conversation.

So keep being you, keep talking about whatever you feel like talking about - we like you. And we do care.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

Thanks for the update. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers daily. I miss not being able to listen to you daily since my office move but I check your blog almost daily to see the updates. I will be thinking about you on the 12th and hopeing eveything will go fine for you. I'm sure the 4 footer will have a marvelous time at camp and make lots of friends and come home telling you all about the bathroom on the bus. My warmest wishes

Kathy L

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

Please continue to let us know on the blog how things go. I can not listen to you as I'm not in the Cities and not near a computer often enough to catch your show.

I continue to offer my prayers for you and as you start this next step may you not be too influenced by what others think but just experience it yourself.

I remember coming across someone who asked me if I knew D.V. (a dear friend who ended up dying from cancer) and I said yes quite surprised. She told me how much she appreciated D.V. at the chemo sessions because she was always positive and cared about everyone. I just looked at this lady and said that was D.V., she was always concerned about others and really cared.

So remember, chemo does not take away who you are, it just changes how you look to the rest of us for awhile.

I'll be praying.
Lisa

Patty S. said...

Treat yourself a little bit. Buy the extra soft toilet paper with aloe. :)

Meaning, do what feels right to YOU to take care of YOU right now. It sounds like you're getting great advice from others who have been through it. I have nothing to add, other than to say take care and know that we are thinking of you.

Patty

P.S. I had my mammogram on Thursday. I already have my letter saying I am clean. The mammogram technician was so gentle I don't know what I was so worried about.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

All I can say about chemo is that everyone has a different reaction. Take your anti naseau meds, drink water during chemo you will flush it quicker. There is so many do's and don't's. You will just have to see what works for you. I will be thinking of you on Thursday, and just think that will be one down.

God Bless.

meme

Melody said...

Kevyn...
You are so amazing. I so enjoy your writings. You have an incredible gift. You will be in my thoughts and prayers this week...especially on Thursday. The four-footer will be in my prayers, too, as she experiences more than just a bus with a bathroom on it. I was a church camp counselor once (just north of Dallas, actually). I'd like to think I was one of the "cool ones." I'm not so sure about that though.

Prayers and peace!
Melody

Anonymous said...

I love reading your blog and I thank you for sharing your feelings and I pray for you during this new stage of recovery...all I can think of saying to you is that it will be ok...you will be fine and you will survive all of this.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn - The chemo will slam you into menopause if you are not there already. That's where most of my emotional issues came from during chemo. I didn't have much nausea. I didn't gain weight. In fact, I was quite thin during chemo. (I did manage to gain that weight back and a few pounds more!) With the menopause symptoms, I had a lot of anxiety. In this case, I did use some meds.

I, too, even the first day of the chemo, was hoping God would send a message saying loud and clear, "No, you don't have to do this." Well, I went through the chemo.

Prayers and love -

A listener

Anonymous said...

Here is a positive chemo story for you. My mother is a breast cancer survivor for 18 yrs and counting her chemo was done in 1989. she tells that she went through chemo with no hair loss little or no nausea but the cold of the IV liquid was what bothered her the MOST. She was on Tamoxifin afterwards and that drug was hard on her as well but it saved her life.
Have my Mamogram (get the digital one this year!!!) on the 16th. Tittos Rock

Anonymous said...

Remember, you're not in this alone, by writing to us, you include us. Close your eyes and you will feel all the good thoughts, wishes and prayers from us, your listeners, your friends and family.

Anonymous said...

#1 RECOMMENDATION IS TO STAY POSITIVE. THAT'S WHAT GOT ME THROUGH THIS JUST 10 MONTHS AGO. HAVE FAITH. YOU TO WILL BE A SURVIVIOR.

BLESSING TO YOU.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn,

I'm sending my thoughts and prayers your way today as you start your treatments. My hope for you is that you will be one of those "Chemo? Piece of cake! No side effects at all!" gals.

Love,
Jean