Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Hit me!

I never crossed the bridge today.
On these summer mornings, I particularly relish crossing the Mississippi River as I head into the station. When I'm in the middle of the bridge, suspended over the water, I make sure that my head swivels from right to left, north to south, to take in the majestic vision of that storied ribbon of water.
Too often on my morning commute in the past, I would arrive at the parking lot at work with no memory of making the drive--I had coasted in on autopilot.
Right now, I'm working on and learning to be 'more present' in my every moment...to be less distracted, to appreciate each task for the pleasure in it, to give up the idea that multi-tasking is a worthy, efficient accomplishment.
I'm changing. This is good.
I want to be more alive in my own life, less distracted by the illusion of busy-ness and productivity. I want to slow down and stop coasting on autopilot.
I've only been back at work for two days, so I'm hardly stuck in the old routine. And I really, really want to be back on the air. The contemplative cocoon I've spun for myself to inhaibt in the days since surgery has served me well, but at some point, this extrovert can have too much silence and a good thang could go bad. I needed very much to return to my familiar post and the work that I love so much. I needed the stimulation and laughter that I find in the broadcast booth. I was so content, being back in my chair and on the air on Monday and Tuesday. I found it comforting that, in the midst of so much change, my ability to talk on the radio has remained a constant.
But right now, the only way I can do my work is to work differently. My post surgery fatigue demands that I show up later, leave earlier, let the show flow with less preparation. Be more myself, more spontaneous. Like its host, the program is in transition.
As part of my determined effort to work less and sleep more, I now leave for the office at 8:00 am--I used to take off at 6:00. This time switch gets me into the thick of rush hour traffic for the first time in years.
I felt particularly cheerful this morning as I walked out my back door, coffee in hand. I noticed a squirrel scampering on my back fence, admired the purple petunias spilling out of the clay pots on my patio. I turned the key, popped the car into reverse and tuned into Ian without Margery. Ah. Feeling centered and content, I turned out of my driveway and soon was heading north on 35W.
As I approached the turn from 35 to eastbound 94, I noticed the red brake lights on the car in front of me. I braked.
Fortunately, I was not going too fast, not tailing too closely.
Unfortunately, the car behind me WAS going too fast, WAS tailing too closely.
My eyes flicked to my rearview mirror. In slow motion, I saw the vehicle behind me--which I swear looked more imposing than one of those monster trucks with the two-story-tall wheels--looming large.
I'm about to be rear-ended, I thought. My mind froze around one word. I braced myself and muttered, "Oh, heavens to Betsy!"
(Actually, I didn't mention heaven or Betsy. I know there are words that broadcasters who value their jobs do not use on the airwaves. I don't know if it's dangerous to use those words in a blog that appears on a broadcast website. I'm not taking any chances...a prudent policy seems to be: if you can't say it on the air, best not write it on the blog.)
The huge car--which later shrunk to being a cherry red Nissan--hit me. Hard.
I pulled over to the shoulder of the freeway and cautiously stepped out of my car. The other driver--a young woman--was mashed behind her inflated airbag. Her front bumper was in the road, her hood was crumpled, and I could hear a hissing-gurgling coming from the exposed engine.
The damage to my car was minor in comparison--a shredded back bumper and dented hatch.
The Highway Helper came arrived with the orange cones. The other driver got her car on the shoulder of the road. She squeezed out of her car, realized she was unharmed and began crying. She was trembling too hard to write down her insurance information for me. The patrol officer showed up with his clipboard. The tow truck arrived to haul the other car away. I was able to drive my car home.
I called Alexis, told her I wouldn't be in to do the show, and headed home.
I've spent the rest of the day seeing doctors.
Checking in with receptionists, filling out medical forms and flipping through magazines in medical waiting rooms is nothing out of the ordinary for me these days, but today the appointments were all 'squeezes,' doctors pushing their schedules around to accomodate me.
When my car was struck, I was thrown hard against my seat belt. I immediately got a headache and felt a very slight twinge in my shoulder and lower back. Although I did not have a feeling of dread or true concern about any of this, I'm totally freaked out about a)my body and b)my bad luck with my health right now.
I called my primary care physician who recommended that I make immediate appointments with my plastic surgeon and a neurologist.
The plastic surgeon checked my incisions and my implant. (Still feels mighty wierd to write that word and know that it applies to moi!) Both were determined to be intact. Good. The neurologist squeezed my shoulders, tapped my hands with a silver hammer, passed a cylinder in front of my face to watch my eyes track it. He, too, pronounced me fine. Good again!
Call me shaken, not stirred.
All's well that ends well, as my mother says.
But I'm hung up on that instant when I looked in my rear view mirror. When I knew I was going to be hit--but just didn't know how hard, with what force and velocity. I didn't know if I would shoot through my windshield, or if my car would be struck so that it would spin into the adjacent lane, just as a multi-ton 18-wheeler was bearing down.
There was time for one word to form in my brain, to bubble up from my place of deepest fear. The word was "Please."
Please let me live.
Yes, I'm exhausted right now. It's been a day of reading off claim numbers, accident reports and rushing to doctor's offices. I've talked to several claim agents at several insuance agencies. I took my car to a repair shop and learned that it will take four days to repair what looks like a coupla dents to me.
A busy, tedious, frustrating, exhausting day.
But I'm not bitchin.
My life could have ended today. Right now, I could be in a hospital with critical injuries. In a brief second, my future could have been altered forever. Once again.
But it didn't.
I didn't cross the river today. But I'll do it tomorrow.
"Please" isn't much of a prayer, but it was all I had time for. It was a prayer that was heard and heeded. For those of you who have been praying for me--thanks. The spillover from your prayers might have saved me this morning.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn - it's so good to 'hear' your voice (I'm at work when you're on-air so I 'listen' to your blog) I've looked in the rearview mirror and seen impending boom, so I empathize.
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts and your wisdom and your travels. Enjoy the bridge tomorrow. God bless you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn,

I'm grateful you were not seriously hurt today. I have experienced something similar, only I spun out on southbound 35W and ended up facing north in the middle lane with a semi bearing down on me. I thought my life was over; somehow he missed me, and so did everybody else. I was so shook I could not go to work, and I was giving final exams that day! My purpose in writing is to tell you that there is an "energy" around that moment that you need to have removed from your system. Check with your friends for an alternative healer who has experience doing that. It made a huge difference for me, as I could finally let go of that instant that seemed engraved forever.

Lexi

Finding My New Normal said...

Oh Kevyn, I'm so glad you and the other woman are OK. What a bummer. I did miss you on the air but had no idea what you were up against today. My prayers continue to have your name in them.

Blessings!

Bri said...

Oh Kevyn! I'm quite sure that angels helped you today.

Six years ago, I was in a car crash which totaled my little Neon. The other driver ran a stop sign and he had a big huge SUV.

I remember feeling what you felt and then all the paperwork, doctor's offices, and related stresses.

But the best thing is that you survived! And it could have been worse. And you are in good care, and in so many people's prayers and thoughts as to be buoyed up and surrounded by good thoughts.

I'm really sorry the crash happened but very thankful you are here.

One good thing as a result of my 2001 crash? I still get a therapeutic neck massage every single week. Got into the habit post-crash and never stopped. It is wonderful!

Hugs (soft ones, so as not to hurt),

Brina

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn,
I am on vacation this week and was so happy to hear your voice on Mon and Tues, and thought maybe today - you needed time...off...

I was at Mayo Clinic in very critical condition with a liver vein collapse...very rare---just nine years ago June 26 - had major bypass surgery on my liver veins - on July 1, ---they are the only doctors that do surgery on these veins...and I healed...you are remarkable...I was not so quick as you but non-the less healed..and recovered from the trauma of almost loosing my life...I live in the moment as much as I can - I cry easier, laugh easier and lover easier...I am 53 - happend at 44...so young eveyone said...
And the car accident, Wow...I can beleive it...it happened to me too...someone ran a red light on a left turn and I slid into her..that Novemeber...I guess the Divine Power just wants us to know we are to learn to be humble...is all I can think and I have learned the lesson --- Please is a good word and Thank you...Take care Kevyn I have watched you for so many years - and I have grown to admire you so much.....
Lots of Love from me and the one above. Sherry

Anonymous said...

You should be thanking God for that! That is really a frightening experience but the good thing is that you both are safe. Yesterday I and my friend had changed his toyoto headlights store since it needs to be replaced for driving safely especially at night.

Patty S. said...

WOW!!! So glad you're okay--weren't you just talking about how we need to enjoy every moment because we're never sure which moment might be our last?

My sister was rear ended in just the same way, but the driver behind her was going 60+ mph. My sister's car was totalled and she was very lucky to be alive, but she feels the results of the accident every day.

Patty

Anonymous said...

Hi, Kevyn,
Seems to me that God was watching over you then and now and that you must have a lot more talking to do for all of us before he is ready for you. I am so thankful that you are back with us and appreciate your insight more than you can know.
Ditto Tittos

Hazel said...

I drove past your accident on my way to work, and I noticed the crushed up red car, and that your car had considerably less damage....and I was thinking to myself, "wow, that person is lucky." Little did I know that "that person" was you. Glad to hear you are O.K., and I hope I don't drive past any more of your accidents on my way to work! Take Care...

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn,

Wow. What's a gal gotta do to catch a break! Glad to know you were not injured too badly.

I am happy to know you are up and about. Back doing what you enjoy.

Remember to come and play when you can. Even if for only a while.

Bill & Lori O.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn, years ago my children and I started a tradition. When we part, we always say, "Love ya, see ya, bye ya" and part with a kiss. This developed after I too was hit from behind on the Washington Street bridge, (over the river). My daughter's the one who said if anything were to happen to any of us, we wouldn't have any doubts about our love for each other! A good way to look at life.........

Anonymous said...

Kevyn
It was so strange to read your note about your accident because two weeks ago my daughter was in a very simaler accident only it was her car that was totaled and she had to go to the hospital. She also thought she was going to be badly hurt but thankfully she was all right. Three years ago i was were you are now and although I was scared then it didn't compare to the fear I felt when I heard my daughter was in the ambulance on the way to the hospital. We survived cancer and we will survive this too Thankfully you and she were not hurt Life will go on.

Anonymous said...

PLEASE. Your 'blog' about embracing life and stopping to pay attention to the TOILET you drive over every day to get to work is about as annoying as your show. Nobody wants to hear your tiring diatribe about breast cancer... not to mention your COMPLETE over reaction to being rear-ended.... I suppose now you're going to try and sucker-punch the other drivers insurance company into picking up the tab for those USELESS dr visits you RAN to, for no legitimate reason other than your utter neurosis... PATHETIC.

I can't think of a thing more irritating than a DISC JOCKEY abusing their employers forum to 'journal' all of their thoughts and feelings with the presumption that ANYONE cares... you and kristin stinar both need a smack across the melon - it might bring you back to earth. I'd be happy to do it for you too.

nobody looks to you for their daily dose of inspiration, and your pathetic, flowery blog is enough to make the twin cities puke in unison. WHY would anyone want to download the 20MB file to hear your 'announcement'? talk about someone who thinks they're pretty important... NOT. take that off the website. you should be ashamed!

GET A LIFE!!! And how about a girls name while your at it! ICK! I can't wait until your show is cancelled.

Cathey

ps - ugly hair, by the way... you LIKE it like that? gross... and nobody cares about your rack either ... pig.

Patty S. said...

I stopped by to see if you had made a new entry. I am sure that you are used to negative letters, etc., but I feel I have to respond to the previous post.

To "Cathey" I would say, you are the one who needs to get a life. Shame on you--to try to hurt someone in this way only goes to show that you are living a pathetic existence. Please do something to better yourself rather than trying to tear others down.

Anonymous said...

"All that you put into the lives of others comes back into your own."

Lucky for Kevyn, that's true. Not so lucky for Cathey.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn, so sorry about Cathey's hateful post on your blog. She misses the point, this isn't about you, it's about all of us who have and will go through something like this. Cathey, go AWAY.

Anonymous said...

Useless? Pathetic? Get a Life? Pig? Sounds like Cathey has some personal issues Do we vilify her or feel sad for her? Apparently she has lacked any sort of loving relationship to make such vile comments.

Obviously we care, or we wouldn't be here checking in. Thanks Kevyn for bring us on this journey with you.

Becca said...

Kevyn
I cannot begin to describe how shocked, discusted, and angered I am by the post Cathey made. I think of you and your family daily. I hope karma comes back to bite Cathey.
-Becca

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

You are a beautiful woman. Your compassion and love moves me. I remember listening to you and Colleen talk about the Hundred Dresses, your tears as you talked about that book brought tears to my own eyes. I have since bought that book for my Grandaughter and we read it together when she spends the night. It's one of her favorites.

I'm sorry for Cathey as her life has got to be very sad. I was sick when I read her comment.

Take care Kevyn. You're one heck of a woman and Mom!

Anonymous said...

Poor Cathey. I cannot understand someone who would spend time reading an inspriational blog -- where you Kevyn are sharing your honest feelings and insights as you go through something hard -- and Cathey would spend time and energy laying a &*!%$@ on it. It's strange and peculiar. But that is how human beings are, I guess. I am surprised you even kept the post up there Kevyn, because I could see that sort of comment as a distraction to where YOUR energy needs to go, that is toward healing.

I am thinking that Cathey is someone who has deep, dark pain, and does not have a clue how to deal with it. Somewhere along the way, she has learned to spew her own pain on others. Probably someone did this to her. For that I am sorry. Kevyn, I don't want you to spend even a moment considering Cathey's situation, because your job is your own right now. But I will offer these words to Cathey.
Cathey, clearly you are in pain. Somehow you have found your way to Kevyn's blog where she is eloquently and gracefully sharing some of the darkest moments of her life. As you read her postings, you can see that she is both faithful and hopeful. Kevyn is making a very generous offering to her readers, in that she is letting us peak at her soul, during a difficult time. Every human being faces difficulties in life. Cathey, I invite you to learn from Kevyn's path and find healing for yourself. Again, I am sorry that you are in pain.