Friday, June 22, 2007

Someday I'll fly away...leave all this to yesterday...

Memory is an odd creature.
In her oft-read-by-high-school-juniors poems, Emily Dickinson called hope "the thing with feathers." Right now, for me, memory is that thing instead...a hopeful, hollow-boned creature with wings and the improbable ability to fashion a nest from string, straw, hair.
During the heart-stopping events of the past few weeks, my memory has flown away. Someone--I can't remember who, natch--told me that cancer turns memory into Swiss cheese, internally loaded with odd and irregular pits and holes. So true. In my mind, minor details from recent weeks replay in sharp focus, while entire conversations, hours, even days are completely absent, as if zombie memory-snatchers have deleted them from my hard drive.
(Transcript of actual conversation between Kevyn and Old Friend:
Kevyn:"You say visited me in the hospital?"
Kevyn's friend: "Yes." (clears throat.) "Twice."
Kevyn (in a very small voice): "Oh.")
Of course, I can blame the anaesthesia during surgery for fogging up my window. Ditto the pain and painkillers immediately following my big date with the scalpel. But I think the pressure of those bizarre, upside-down days between diagnosis and surgery also played havoc with my memory cells.
I can't remember much from that time period. I got my diagnosis on May 21 and had my surgery on June 2. In the elapsing time, I know I placed phone calls to deliver the news in person to my sister, my parents, my old college pal. I told my my kids, my stepchildren, my boss. Where was I when I dialed those digits or spoke the words? Did I deliver my news dispassionately, like I was reading from a script or with my voice shaking or accompanied by huge racking sobs? Did I lead up to the newsflash in slow and subtle ways, or blurt "I have breast cancer!"
In most cases, I'm not sure.
Days before surgery, my husband and I met with a plastic surgeon to discuss my reconstruction options. The doctor, reassuring and experienced, explained what he could do for me--what he could fashion from what would be left. During that extensive meeting, I made the choice about what I wanted for my breast--what it would look like, how it would be fashioned. I remember that both my husband and I felt comfortable with that decision.
Later, I could not recall why I had chosen the option that I'd picked. (This is why it is good to be married to a detail-oriented, note-taking man.)
When I went back to the plastic surgeon's office for my first post-surgical follow-up visit, I was struck by the impressively decorated waiting room--sleek furniture, recessed lighting, gorgeous artwork. The office was striking and memorable, in stark contrast to the typical doctor's waiting room.
And I had zero memory of ever being there before. Zero.
It's as if my memory has been exiled.
The only thing that's odder than what I've lost is what I've retained, what has floated to the surface of the muckpond that is my memory, the odd memory fragment that comes and perches, birdlike, on my mental window sill.
For some reason, such a fragment is a minor passage from a book I read a few years ago, to prepare for an interview with its author. It was an excellent biography of naturalist and bird-painter John James Audubon, "Under a Wild Sky," by Minnesota writer William Souder.
In telling Audubon's tale, Souder examines and explains assumptions about the natural world at the time Audubon began his work. Souder shows that there were misconceptions about natural history that seem hilarious to us today.
For example, the concept that birds migrated had not yet been put forth. In Audubon's day, there was no understanding that these tiny winged creatures annually made transcontinental pilgrimages. Even scientists of the day were puzzled by what happened to birds in the fall. Because so many birds nest around water, there was a well-regarded theory that birds somehow became amphibious enough to spend winters on the bottoms of lakes and rivers, only to re-emerge and reporduce in the spring.
Seriously, stop for a minute and really contemplate the concept of migration. Birds of a feather flock together--and fly hundreds, even thousands, of miles away. How do they know when to go? Where to go? What relentless clock and map sends them on their way--and then brings them back? How does one generation of bird get that information from the previous one?
Today, high tech radio devices allow birdologists--or whatever they're called-- to track them and study them. Species by species, it's no mystery where they go. But how those teeny bird brains know all that they know--that's beyond us, really. And if we can't truly understand how bird memory works, I guess it should be no surprise that human memory is even more mysterious.
Right now, in my dreams I'm like a bird, migrating for the first time--on the wing, still in flight. It's as if it is autumn and I'm forced to take to the sky. I don't know where I'm going. I don't know what it will be like when I get where I'm going. I fear I won't be able to find my way back home, to my precious nesting ground.
I'm soaring low over the river, my flyway.
As I have recovered at home in these past few weeks, I have spent many solitary hours propped quietly against the pillows on my bed. I have gone still to listen and have heard my own voice--the one that I've too often been too busy/noisy to hear. That voice speaks haltingly, shyly, as wary as a cornered wild creature. As I sit in silence and wait, I hear the airplanes scraping against the sky over my house and I hear the rhythmic chirp of birds who live in the trees outside my room. I think of their patterns of flight and gather my strength to go to that unknown distant place...and then to return home.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

Each time I read your blog, I am struck by your vivid descriptions and am so moved by what you have written. I'm sorry it took the cancer to prod you to share your writing gift, and I am also so grateful to be one of many on the receiving end via this blog. I definitely see a book--with your name as the author--in your future someday.

Lexi (FM107 listener)

Anonymous said...

How wonderful you can put into words what is so true about that dreaded "c" word. I just got through with my thyroid cancer, diagnosed the end of March, surgery the end of April and treatment the end of May. I lost 2 months, and I just can't imagine that spring will ever be the same for me.
Thank you for sharing your journey, I hope that it will not be too long. Know that when you get done you will appreciate doing those 'normal things' so much more, I know I have.
Kari - a listener

Sue Flaska said...

There are days where I have to ask my husband if he remembered an event, because I sure didn't. In the last three years, sometimes something will be said, or I will have read something and the memories come flooding back. They are there, but tucked away. In fact, as I read your blog, I am put back to three years ago. It is amazing how while we are all different, a lot of our feelings are the same. I am looking into starting a local support group, to be named....Brite Hope. We have to do all of this one step at a time. With you in thought!

Anonymous said...

Hiya Kevyn-
Bummer! I'm betting you forgot that we stopped by the hospital and brought chocolate-covered bacon for the whole floor! Heavy sigh! LOL
L&L,
us

Anonymous said...

I had major neck surgery in November. A few weeks ago my hubby and I were talking about it. I do not remember who visited me in the hospital. When he told me the people who did, I was amazed. I think our higher power does this to our brain on purpose. Like you, I'm blessed to have a husband who could remember for me. I think about you lots and pray for better days. My recovery (I was off work for 3 months) was a life changing experience. It really has me "stopping to smell the roses." Peace & Joy! Kim

Dorothy G said...

It was so nice to hear you on the radio this morning. Thanks for coming back.

Anonymous said...

I had goosebumps the whole two hours of your show.

Glad to hear your voice and that you are doing well.

Patti A.

P.S. was it "Patti Lamb" that the four footer had on the plane?

Anonymous said...

Amazing. You back on the air and sharing from the soul. Regarding your hair, I say, make a preemptive strike and give the results to locks of love. You're one person who'll look fantastic bald with a scarf tied to one side and big hooped earings, gypsy style, but that's just me!

Heal when you need to heal and talk to us, your friends, when you need to.

I hope you can feel the love.

CC

Anonymous said...

Listened to your show this morning and no amount of chemo can be as bad as your post surgery recovery. I had 4 months of chemo 3 years ago after my lumpectomy.This was not a pleasant time but I was able to do most all of myactivites,most important thing to remember is let your body tell you when to slow down I had a wig but most of the time I when bald.Wnen I went back to work at my preschool I didn't wear my wigs. One of the kids said "You got a hair cut"

Anonymous said...

Once again - or still - your poet soul emerges. Thank you thank you thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn :)
It was so nice hearing and talking with you this morning! It truly has made my day!!

As I meantioned on the air to you, I was feeling very emotional. Nothing new, sice my diagnosis,
3-1/2 years ago. I just hope, that I made sense in what I was trying to say to you.

You are such an inspiration to so many and that has been long before your breast cancer diagnosis. I can't tell you how many times, listening to your show has uplifted me! Often times, when I am recieving my chemo treatment, you are right there with me. Listening to your sweet voice in my ears, makes the unpleasantry, much more pleasurable. Thank you!

You won't hear my voice in your ears, but, just know that I, along with so many others, will be with you in spirit. When you feel weak or frightened, know that it is okay. It is normal. Reach out to those who care so much about you.
GOD Bless!
Love to you!
Connie

Anonymous said...

I get so excited when there is a new entry on your blog. They bring such a sense of peace and strength. Thank you for sharing your path.

I heard your broadcast this morning. I also had some fear going into it. I didn't want you to sound weak or sick, and I wasn't sure what to expect. You sounded like the Kevyn of three weeks ago but with a touch of softness that was remarkable.

So happy you are back, I listen to every show everyday while I work in my office.

I now have confidence you will soar through this journey with the strength of an eagle!
God bless!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevin,
I had tears in my eyes the entire time listening to your show today because your spoke raw truth and emotion from your heart and soul. I have a chronic illness and after listening to you today it helped me. We're dealing with some of the very same things: grief over our previous healthy selves, weakness, drugs that have horrible side effects, not recognizing who we are any more. We're in the river together. Thank you. You are a gift.

Patty S. said...

Kevyn,
It was wondeful to hear you on the air again. I really like the new intro song, too. Although I hope the "short skirt and long jacket" shows up every once in a while, too.

Patty

Anonymous said...

Oh, my comment is so pithy in comparison, but... a "birdologist" is an "ornithologist." I mean, if you want to be technical about it.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn - a dilemma for those of us who add comments to the blog. How do we spell "tittos"? Is it "tittoes" or "tittos"?

Wishing you well from the rooftops!

Deb

Anonymous said...

Yes indeed, in some moments I can say that I jibe consent to with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is even now a without question as you did in the downgrade efflux of this beg www.google.com/ie?as_q=microsoft sql server 9.01 enterprise ?
I noticed the utter you suffer with not used. Or you profit by the dark methods of promotion of the resource. I take a week and do necheg

Anonymous said...

quite interesting article. I would love to follow you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't noticed kevynbaby.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Very nice and informative article. Thanks for the quality content and I hope you update your blog frequently as I`m interested in this topic. I`ve already bookmarked this article. Thanx!