Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Where did it go?

Hurt or numb.
Those are your choices after surgery. The scalpel-altered places on my body either rdiate pain or have no feeling whatsoever.
It's not just my body that seems stuck between these alternatives. If I feel it, it hurts. Even loving kindness. Pushing away and going numb to circumnavigate pain is hardly tempting. Being unable to feel at all is actually worse. Better to suffer than to be deadened.

* * * * *

The day before my surgery, I let my thoughts wander and then idly followed their path.
I found myself wondering where my breast would actually go.
Sure, parts of it would be excised and sliced and dyed and slipped on slides and checked cell by cell. Samples would go to the lab for that damned damning documentation.
But what of the rest of the breast? Where would it physically wind up?
It's mine, after all. But only when I actually posess it?
Then I wondered what had happened to my grandmother's breast, removed in 1963.
And what had happened to my daughter's bum kidney, removed when she was a baby? My son's tonsils, taken out just this past December? My little daughter's two front teeth? My father's hip bone, replaced by a titanium joint decades ago?
I realized that it doesn't matter.
We are the sum of our parts, but when they're no longer of us, they're, well, no longer of us. Living tissue is what matters. What is excised falls away with little mourning. We lose what we're better off without.
I imagined my tissue collected with the other lost parts from those I love. I imagined the cells comingling to form a sort of sandbar in the middle of the river. A place where I can bank my self while I heal.

* * * * *

I have lived in many houses in my life.
Sometimes when I can't sleep I try to mentally walk through one of the many old rental houses we lived in when I was a little girl, remembering the cedar scent from a walk in closet in one house or the graceful turn of the stairs on the landing in another.
Since becoming an adult, I have had my name on the mortgage of six different houses, including the home where I live now.
It's interesting how I mentally move out and disengage myself from houses that I no longer own. Sometimes I find myself in an old neighborhood and drive past one of my previous homes. I'll note that the trees have grown taller, or that shutters have been added, or that the place looks smaller than I remember. These are fairly nuetral observations about a place I once owned by now have little interest in, financial or otherwise.
It doesn't matter what new owners do to a place. It's not mine anymore.
And that is how I am starting to feel about this body.
I went to the doctor yesterday. (I have a lot of doctors now--general physician, surgeon, plastic surgeon, oncologist.) The plastic surgeon examined me, and pronounced me on target for healing.
I am cut and stitched back up. Not what I once was. No. And yet--fine. I am glad to say that I feel good about how it appears. ('It?' I guess I mean how I appear.) Again, not quite what it was, but it's close. I don't look at myself and recoil in horror; quite the reverse. I can learn to accept this. Uh, these. In fact, already I am accepting how I look. More to the point, in my new body I will regain my mobility and be able to wear what I want without fear or feeling self-conscious. I will soon be me again.
Not the old me.
Actually, I'm a bit, well, perkier, in that department, if you want to know the truth.
This is all a high price to pay for perkiness, but I won't complain.
I'm mentally unpacking in my body's new house. I'm already losing interest in the place where I no longer live. But it doesn't feel like home. Not yet.

* * * * *

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for being who you are and being so intensely elequent. I've missed you at work, and miss you on the air and at the office. Don't know if you have received the silent prayers in English and Hebrew. It is a relief to know of your progress and thank you for continuing to share. Please take care of yourself and your family. All the best. MW

Finding My New Normal said...

I've often wondered what happens to the body parts that are cut off during surgery. I think I would rather not know.

Good luck as you continue healing. Your phone message updates are so uplifting. Thanks again for sharing.

Anonymous said...

You have such a beautiful writing style Kevyn. It is so real and intense and makes me aspire to be a better writer. I think of you often, read your blog daily and am so glad to hear about your positive results and candid thoughts.

Anonymous said...

WOW. You are amazing. We met you when you were a resident of your old "house". We found you to be a friend. You moved and yet we know you still to be the same soul, living in a new residence. It is the soul that we adore. We think and pray for you and yours each and every day.

Donna, Abby, Mark and Sam

Melody said...

Kevyn...
You are truly AMAZING!! I'm amazed at your strength. I'm amazed at your thoughtfulness. I'm amazed with your recovery. You go, girl!! No. You go AMAZING, girl!!

Love,
Melody

Anonymous said...

Kevyn
I really admire your willingness to be open with your own inner struggles.I too have lived in many different cities and homes.I have found that this has enabled me to adjust to changing situations.You and your family are in my prayers and thoughts

Gayle said...

"You are more than your boobs." That's what my daughter told me in 1998 when I had to decide between one mastectomy or two....one for cancer and one for prophylactic reasons. I opted for two. My life is great.

Kevyn, you are more than your boob.

Gayle

Anonymous said...

Kevyn:

Thanks for sharing.

Russ

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

My Mother had her left breast removed in April 1999 and did not do the reconstruction right after- wards. That I think, is her only regret. Waiting and seeing nothing there in the shower hurt her more than the surgery I think sometimes. Her perky "new boob" is scarred like a basketball (lines around the ball). she keeps teasing about having a nipple or flower tattooed there! Hope that the newbie booby becomes "you" in a way that helps you love yourself more everyday. she too remarks on the perky vs saggy! she only needs a one boob bra to pull it up! Love and miss you. Happy healing!

Anonymous said...

Kevyn;

When the time comes to buy a wig, get the best you can afford. What the heck, get the best no matter if you can't afford it. Get 2 or 3!

When I needed to get my wig, my dear neighbor went with me. I was a basket case. I hadn't lost all my hair yet. I looked a bit like a Dr. Seuss bird with the long feathers coming out of the head. I was devastated that I had to get a wig. I cried the whole time. In my tears and anger, I barked at the young woman who was helping me, "Does anyone every enjoy looking for a wig?"

She sweetly replied, "Oh, the exotic dancers that come in are pretty happy."

I almost fell off my chair laughing and in that laughter, I felt a bit of my old self coming back.

You are always in my thoughts and prayers,

Deb

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing your journey with us, Kevyn. We all pray for your speedy recovery! Keep in mind, this will all take time...time to heal from surgery, time for chemo, time to heal from chemo, then chemo once again and then radiation everyday for 6 weeks and so on....one of my previous boss's once told me (when I thought I was having a crisis with my job) "this too shall pass". And it did! Years later, after being diagnosed with breast cancer, and all the fun stuff that follows, I kept reminding myself, "this too shall pass". And it did! Please continue to share your journey with us, we miss and pray for you! Bets

Susan Ramsey said...

i wanted to recommend a book (if you haven't already read it): Refuge, by Terry Tempest Williams. You are a very good writer 9althouh i'm sure you alreayd knew that). i admire your strength and your passion about this topic and about life in general. much peace to you and your family (even though you might already have it).

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,
I just want you to know I am thinking of you and praying for you every night with my baby daughter as I rock her to sleep each night. I've never had cancer, but I have had other challenges - during those times it is not always easy to press on, be open and share your heart with the world. I commend you for sharing your story and your heart with us -I recognize that it's not an easy task. I am glad to be a mother, in the twin cities, who listens to FM107, and feels a friendship with a talk radio host I have never met in person. You are my radio friend, and friends are there for each other in times like this. Thank you for sharing your story - just know, there are many more like me thinking and praying for you every single day. ~ Molly

Bob and Becky' Camino said...

Thank you for writing things that I know my wife thought (and thinks) when she looks at her breasts. May I recommend a book for your co-survivors? It is "Breast Cancer Husband" by Marc Silver. It is not for you - it is for your husband and other family members who are not quite sure what questions to ask or how to answer. It also helps them listen - which is often hard for us co-survivors. Wishing you humor and patience.