Thursday, June 14, 2007

It's a small world after all!

I am choosing silence right now.
For me, that's like visiting a foreign country without a passport.
My voice has been my career. As a TV reporter, I fashioned words into sentences, paragraphs, stories, distilling facts into the news/soup that viewers could swallow.
On the radio, my beat became my take on the world. At first, I feared talking honestly about my own feelings and opinions. I was lost without a prepared script to read from. Gradually I found my way and my voice and filled hours with my pointless meandering with listeners and on air guests. Still talking it up, conversatin' with you and with myself.
On the air, my voice carried me and cared for me.
Off the air, my voice connected me to friends, family. The only time I'm quiet is when I'm sleeping; otherwise, I want to/need to verbally dissect everything I encounter. On a walk, over a meal, over the phone--I'm one chatty chick.
But since I came home from the hospital, I have shut off the volume.
Usually, I listen to the radio when I'm just hanging out at home, loading the dishwasher or chopping onions or paying bills. Tuning in to the chatter. Interested in other people's words.
It's all been turned off. I crave silence; I need to spend days quietly now. I read the paper in the morning, then shut out the chat, the current events, the endless broadcast updates.
I don't really know what's going on in the world right now.
My inner self is trying to tell me something new and I won't be able to hear it unless I keep silent and keep silence around me. My world is shifting in subtle ways. I am convinced I can find new wisdom if I am quiet enough to hear it. I am certain that when it comes, it will be in a whisper.
My house, my room, my bed. (For you visual thinkers, here's the sequence: Wide shot, medium shot, tight shot.) That's my world right now.
I'm here. Listening. Waiting. Preparing.


* * * * *

This past month has schooled me in gratitude.
I have always been somewhat carelessly grateful. But, to be honest, I've been like a rich kid who doesn't quite understand that not everyone is a trust funder. My blessings have not necessarily been material in nature--although I have never known real want. I was blessed from my first breath by being born into a family of people who truly and unselfishly loved and nourished me. I grew up with encouragement, kindness, faith.
And always good health. I saw vitality as my birthright. Blessed with a body that required zero maintainence, I have always had the strength and stamina to work hard and play hard. No medications, allergies, disorders. I didn't get colds or flu. I didn't just see myself as invincible--I WAS invincible.
Well, ha ha on me. The bigger they come the harder they fall.
Today I am newly grateful for the health I've enjoyed--and I ask myself if I enjoyed it enough.
As I thoughtfully review the parts of my life that I took for granted, everything seems fresh and fragile. The word HEAL is the first part of the word HEALTH. The first word fits itself neatly into the second.
I am mostly at home, but I leave the house briefly at least once every day--a walk or accompanying someone on an errand. Colors seem more intense; noise is more raucous. I watch the faces of strangers and often notice people who look distracted or as if they might be in a bad mood. I want to stop them and remind them to notice how lush the trees are right now, casting patterns of shade on the green midsummer lawns. I want to warn them--what if you get a cancer diagnosis tomorrow? What if today is your last day of unambiguous health? Have you appreciated this day or have you squandered it?

* * * * *

Princess Alexis and BossLady came to visit, bringing papers for me to sign, updates from the workplace and a box full of my mail.
After they left, I took the mail to my boudoir and flopped into bed with it. My paycheck stub, press releases, invitations to attend and opening of a new restaurant and a new play.
And then, the cards.
My letter carrier is probably annoyed with me. Every day, he deposits a hernia-inducing load of envelopes in my home mailbox. I have gotten dozens and scores of cards and letters from my friends and acquaintances. Everyone who has ever had me on their Christmas card list has fired off a get well wish. Invest in Hallmark, people--I should be getting dividend checks from them!
I have gotten an incredible assortment of cards--funny, serious, inspirational. Some from old friends, some from people whose path I hardly recall passing. It has been an amazing paper shower. I rub my finger over each signature, touched that the sender has followed that impulse to find words to wish me health and healing. Quiet souls write me long letters while some garrulous friends simply sign their name and let the verse on the card speak for them. Confronting illness makes some people wordy while others are rendered inarticulate. I know each envelope was sealed with fear, sadness, hope, love...with me in mind.
The cards that Alexis and BossLady brought were different.
They all came from my friends who know me exclusively from the radio. From fm107.1 listeners.
You don't know my home address, so you sent your cards to the station. Some of you I have met in the flesh--at the Fair, or while I was on remote, or perhaps our paths crossed coincidentally at some point.
But most of you know me because we regularly spend time together when I am in a room speaking into a microphone. I'm with you when you're in your car or cubicle or kitchen. We do what friends do--get together, talk it over, laugh it off, make each other think.
It's an odd friendship because it's so one-way.
But active conversation is two-way communication--the talker and the listener.
And how gratifying it has been for the talker to listen to you.
Cards and notes, gifts, music, advice--it spilled out of your envelopes. Some of you wrote to me in the middle of the night, when you couldn't sleep because of your fears for me. Some of you have lived with breast cancer and you write to give me your own surivial tips to help me in this battle. You sent me your favorite Bible verses, quotes and poems--words that have comforted and served you well in your own trials. You offered to cook and clean for me. You sent me your home phone number. You promised to pray for me when I would be too tired or confused to pray for myself.
I read of your true and deep affection for me.
I have tried hard to do a show that reflects who I am. I have worked hard so that you would want to give me some of your time every day--so that I would earn your friendship. I have tried to put together a program that is fun, breezy, upbeat, fodder for thought. I have revealed more of myself than I would have thought I could.
And I see that I have been a thread that you have woven into the fabric of your life. I am not an anonymous voice to you==I'm a person. You know me. You care about me. You know I'm in trouble You are worried about me.
It is enormously gratifying to know that we have made that connection.
I covered my bed in your cards and wept a bit, feeling so fortunate to be lifted up by such fond tenderness.
And then, amid the envelopes and cards and stationary, I fell asleep, slumbering sweetly on the magic carpet of well wishes that came from you, my friends. Thank you.
Thank you. Thank you.

15 comments:

Finding My New Normal said...

Thank YOU Kevyn.

When we received Bob's diagnosis 6 months after our wedding, we were in much the same place you are now. I was fearful this dianosis meant I would lose my new husband. He was fearful he would lose his job and means of supporting us (which he did). But we have grown stronger and together and have become a team we probably wouldn't be without the MD.

I thank you for reminding people to cherish their health and each new day.

Patty S. said...

Kevyn, picturing you on your bed sleeping surrounded by cards and letters is a great visual. Know that even as the cards and letters slow down, you'll still be in our thoughts and prayers.

You're right about never knowing when our last day of "health" will be. I'm an ICU nurse and I see this literally every day I work. People's lives blown apart by a small clot where there should be blood flow. Heart or brain, either way it can be incredibly traumatic. Seeing families at their absolute best and worst, because face it, we never really know how we will react until the unthinkable happens.

I do my best not to take anything for granted, but it still happens. Today, walking around Lake Nokomis with my husband I thought of you.

The carp were splashing in the water. A single sailboat seemingly floated across the lake. There was a lone swimmer doing some sort of training exercise where he literally wasn't moving because he was anchored to some sort of a floating weight. My husband commented that the swimmer wasn't going anywhwere so why was he working so hard?

That is part of your healing process right now. You're getting ready for the fight against any possible cancer cells that might still be in your body. Silence and reflection are your training ground.

Take care. And listen--you'll hear us praying for you and thinking of you.

Patty

Anonymous said...

Oh Kevyn, thank you for reminding me what it means to be grateful. I'm so glad you can feel our affection and deep concern for you. You've kept me company so many times in my kitchen and I've been missing you and praying for your quick and complete recovery. -A loyal fan in Eagan

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn. Today, Abby had her one year post chemotherapy anniversary. Quite the deal for a 7 year old. We stopped up to our old stomping grounds at Mayo Clinic, the adult chemo area (the children's chemo area was far too much for me to absorb on a good day). We visited our wonderful chemo nurse who fell in love with Abby and gave her our update. She was administering chemo to a woman from NYC who was there for her first day of treatment. She said she was so frightened and nervous but if Abby could take chemo for 2.5 years surely she could handle her chemotherapy regimen. It's so inspiring to meet all the wonderful people you meet in the midst of an unforseeable reality. We have been truly blessed. I can see you're finding this out too.

Along with this, I did receive a compliment that I couldn't possible be Abby's mother, perhaps an older sister. (Ha). 42 is the new 15. Ha.

God's Blessings

Abby's Mom

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

I am one of your FM107 listeners who still misses lisening to you as I moved away and the internet is just not an option because studying (I'm in nursing school) comes first.

Anyhow - silence.
In 1990 my life fell apart. It started with a 2 a.m. phone call from my husband saying "I'm arrested and it's no big deal" (it was a very big deal - he had been leading a double life) and 3+ weeks later having the adoption agency win and remove a little girl who had been with us for 9 month and very much one of my daughters.

I found that silence is time for you to think things through, redefine your life, ask questions over and over and think things through again. People reached out to me, others I sought. But I found I needed my time to regroup and move forward.

Take the time for yourself - regroup, think but also lean on your immediate family for I found after that horrible ordeal - they really are just as worried as I was.

As for the crying - I have found that your soul needs to heal and tears help. Let them come - over time you will notice that they will get less.

Lisa H.

Anonymous said...

Kevin
An hour ago I learned my daughter was in the hospital after being in a car accident. Three years ago about this same time I learned I had the same type of cancer you have. I would so gladly change places with my daughter now that I realize now how precious life is When you get the feeling you can't go on remrmber you can handle anything if your children are safe.
Continue on your journey to health.
marnie

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

I'm glad you're not being one of them squat-between-the-furrows gals, or one who doesn't muss her lipstick while juggling life's major crises.

Don't tell BossLady or Princess Alexis, but you should think about taking a sabbatical, and write. I've watched and listened to you for years, and had no idea you are such an excellent writer.

Take whatever time you need for yourself. You've given so much to so many. Now show us how to take the time for ourselves, too.

Java Mary said...

Kevyn,

Your words are so well-crafted and touching. I've been thinking about you when I'm crossing the river, and in the mornings sometimes between 9 and 11. I am so glad to hear that you are healing. From everything I've heard you talk about on your show, you sound like a pretty strong gal. I know you'll get to where you want to be. Thank you for sharing what's going on with your listeners - your words are so encouraging.

Anonymous said...

you are loved, you are admired. you are so much more than a voice on my radio. you will be in my thoughts and prayers for as long as you need. you are more than your cancer, and you are loved.

Adrienne Wood said...

Kevyn

I am coming up to 2 years since my BC diagnosis - large lump discovered at 49, mastectomy, 22 modes removed, 8 of which were positive, chemo, radiation, and back to work.

Your most important weapon is a positive attitude, and taking responsibility for your won health - don;t let all those doctors 'do it to you' - do some of it to yourself. Become a 'doffocult patient' and ask questions!

If you haven't come across thenm yet, do a search on Jane Plant, and Bernie Siegel. Jane's diet really helped me through chemotherapy - almost no side effects once I stopped taking the 'anti-side-effect' drugs LOL - and I am still pretty much on the maintenance diet and feeling way better than others who had similar cancers at the same time me as me.

I wish you luck and well being on your cancer journey - whilst on mine I found out I am a much stronger person than I had imagined, and have now re-instated my original ambition to live until I am 99 and a half!

Adrienne in Wales

Silvergirl said...

Dear Kevyn,

Congratulations on your Gracie Award.

Breast Self Exam: Kevyn & Colleen
Outstanding Talk Show
Hubbard Radio Network
Market: Local 1-25
St. Paul, MN

Take pride in yourself for sharing your continuing personal story. Your writing touches me and helps me. You have many listeners like me who feel they know you, want the best for you and send you all possible healing and love.

Anonymous said...

having been neglectful for five years I just had my mammogram on June 11th, having received the letter that I was okay, I can't help but feel the sadness and fear that you must be going through.

My thoughts and prayers are with you daily, please take the time to heal and remember all those you love you.

Patti A

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn, first let me tell that I love you very much.I pray for your recovery every day. Being silent for a short time is OK, but be careful what you think about,when you are silent. If you go into a selfpitty mode, your recovery will be very slow or it may never happend, because the energy you spend to be sorry for yourself is draining you, so the body have to work even harder to suply the energy that needs to survive. Remember what you think about expends, so think about what you whant, not what about what you don't whant.
Aneliya

Anonymous said...

Kev, there is a book in all of this. You have penned the first few chapters already. Your words are amazing and I find myself checking back here several times a day. I remember you from TV YEARS back, sorry about that emphasis, and you truly have a story to tell and the gift to do it.

My radio is set for Monday......

Anonymous said...

Dear Kevyn,

When the bridge collapsed in Twin Cities last night my immediate convern was for you. As a result today I have leaserned of your harsh battle.

My love is ever with you if you desire to contact the woman who was given a speeding ticket in Arkadelphia, it's Denise Robert-

dmarie_robert@yahoo.com

I'm living in Manhattan working at a sports club.

Love, Denise