Friday, June 1, 2007

a poem for kevyn

Susan Steger Welsh is an accomplished poet, an extraordinary woman and an old friend. In fact, I live in Minnesota today because of her. She was the executive producer at channel 5 who plucked my audition tape out of a pile. She saw something in my reporting work that led her to offer me a job way back in 1983. (We were both wearing blouses with big bows during that interview, as I recall.)
Susan has had her own stare-downs with Reaper, G., and has triumphed over her own tough breaks. She comes through with a richer shine in her eye and a guttsiness that inspires. She has been a source of strength, guidance and hope.
My situation apparently served as muse to move her to write this poem.
Which touched me deeply.





Don’t Send Extravagant Floral Arrangements,
She Said. They Always Remind Me Of Funerals,
And I Don’t Want To Go There Now.

I go

into the garden, find the rose bush that just last week
was flawless, with innocent, not-quite-June
perfection. The tiniest wink of rosebuds.

But now I find lower leaves mottled
with splotches, plump green
gnawed back to paper.

I yank off the leaf stems one
by one, underneath find the pale worms –
thin as luck. I fold the leaves,

squash them with my bare hands.
I try to avoid spraying roses,
but when this rain is past

I’ll pull on gloves and a mask,
spray until every leaf

drips with chemicals.

for Kevyn

4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Kevyn..I have watched you on the news, listened to your radio show from the beginning. I love your sense of humor, your logic, and open mindedness. I just want you to know my prayers will be with you.
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you today and tomorrow, keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. I'm one of your many radio listeners who values the thoughtfulness and laughter you bring to my mornings.

I know that your many friends will be bringing the hot dishes, vacuuming and keeping the 4 footer busy for you.

To keep the faith and show my gratitude for the excellent medical care you and other women are receiving, I'll make a donation to the Susan G. Komen Foundation in your name.

Thanks again for sharing yourself and getting the story out there.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn-
I think of you several times a day since you shared the news, but I am especially praying for you this morning...praying for you and your family.

I am a long time listener, you've entertained me many, many mornings...making me laugh and other times...shedding a few tears. Thank you for sharing yourself with us! I will be watching your blog for updates.
God Bless You...Katie

Anonymous said...

I was diagnosed with cancer 2-1/2 years ago. I was lucky - mine was kidney, stage 2. They were able to rid me of cancer by removing the offending organ and that was it - no chemo or radiation. And the body part removed from me is noticable to no one, including myself.
There were two parts of the experience, however, that were universal: 1.There is not much guidance for telling others about your condition- who, when, how? I chose to tell everyone because this could have been the end of my life. My tag line became, "I have surprising news". My mom and my son were the hardest. My husband probably suffered more than I knew because he just was what I needed him to be, truly my partner, facing it with me. 2.Learning to accept offers of help and support from others was not easy for me, but the most rewarding part of the experience. People I had not heard from in years came out of the woodwork! At times I almost felt as though I were floating atop the layers of prayers and support I received. What a gift! Maybe that's what I was supposed to learn?
Kevyn, I know that you will ultimately come out of this great, and that on the other side of this is a stronger you with a deeper knowledge of yourself and of all the people whose lives you have touched. You have been such an inspiration to so many of us, whether you are covering a serious subject or just being silly. I hope that you and your family can remain positive and hopeful throughout the ordeal to come. I will never look at the river again without thinking of you!