Monday, June 18, 2007

Isn't it IRONICAL?

One of the bizarre chores I had to do when breast cancer hijacked my life was to get out my calendar (yeah, I'm old fashioned; it's a little black-covered paper book) and cancel out all the activities that I had so blithely and trustingly inked in the little squares there.
My To Do list had to be undone.
I called friends to cancel lunches, business associates to drop meetings and scratched out kid-related activities.
Then I wrote an X over was two words: New York.
Trip cancelled.
It was a Big Deal a few months back when Colleen and I won a Gracie Award. (Warning: here comes horn tooting.) This is an excellent national award given by the American Women in Radio and Television. Recognizes outstanding broadcast work that is by, for and/or about women. Lots of Very Important Women (and quite a few Big Cheese men) have won this award over the years. (BTW, as an aside, I am very grateful to be part of a business where people love giving each other nice awards.) This Gracie represents the first such award that FM107.1 has ever received.
I know something about this award, because I have previously won two Gracies-- and one honorable mention. I won those Gracies for television reporting work that I did when I was a reporter at WCCO-TV. Twice before, I went to New York to get my Gracie. Both times the ceremony was Quite the Quite, held at the Waldorf Astoria, my dear, pretty heady stuff for a hick like me!
The first year, 1995, I sat next to Meredith Viera (another winner that night but no household name at that point) and Lesley Stahl of Sixty Minutes was the mistress of ceremonies who gave me my award. The second time I won, Sharon Gless and Tyne Daly (Cagney and Lacy!) were co-MC's. Sharon Gless gave me the statue.
Funny aside: I was about three months pregnant with the 4-footer at the time. It was early enough in the pregnancy that I was not mentioning that I was in the family way, but late enough that I was, uh, swellin' up pretty good. Meanwhile, I was suffering from the worst morning sickness I'd ever experienced in my many pregnancies. I had been bilious and seasick for weeks and was pretty much living on pretzel rods and salt bagels--the only things I could reliably keep down. Truly miserable--and bloated to boot. You know, that pre-maternity-clothes stage when you want to wear a sign that says, "I'm not fat, I'm pregnant!"
As we made introductions at the dinner, other TV types kept asking me if I was the producer. They looked quite startled when I said that, in fact, I, the cow, was the on air reporter.
Here are some pictures of that ceremony in 1997:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Kevyn Burger and Sharon Gless, Waldorf Astoria, NY NY - April 1997


It was going to be a delight to accept my first Gracie for radio work. I had planned to fly to JFK last Friday, June 15. My older kids, the 6 Footer and the 5 Footer, were set to join me. For weeks we had talked about all the Manhattan sights we would see together. My husband planned to arrive a bit later and be there for the award ceremony on June 19. Some of the bosses from the radio station would also attend and there were Whoopin' It Up plans made with them as well.
Well.
We've been pretty stoic about the fact that we'll just have to win another one of them dang Gracies so we can fulfill the I-Heart-N-Y plan next year. It's a little tempting to feel sorry for myself on this--I'm resisting mightily. Kids and husband have not bemoaned the lost trip for an instant. Just wasn't in the cards now that the game has changed.
Actually, with all the Heavy Stuff I need to think about, not going to New York hasn't made the cut into Items that are Worthy of my Attention.
Other than:
How's this for IRONICAL?
FM107's BossLady actually selected the program segment that was entered for the Gracie. She chose a segment that Colleen and I began doing on a monthly basis. On the 22nd of each month, we do a monthly breast self-exam. On the air. If you listen regularly, you know that I encourage listeners to join in and use this as a time to put in the reminder of the importance of self exams and mammograms.
This on air exam (which started, frankly, as a bit of a bit/stunt/gimmick) prompted one of our listeners, Delores, to do her self-exam--and led her to find a lump in her breast. She was tested, found to have cancer, and had a mastectomy as a result. Delores came on the radio with us to express her gratitude--because our program ultimately led her to treatment for her cancer--while it could still be successfully treated.
Need more irony?
I saw Delores on Mother's Day; I walked with her for a time at the Race for the Cure. Wearing a hot pink feather boa, Delores was our LoJ Team mascot and she was all smiles. Doing great, she said. I admired her hair--growing back nicely after chemotherapy--and again admired her upbeat spirit. We embraced and I wished her a happy Mother's Day.
The very next day, I had my routine mammogram.
One week later, I had a breast cancer diagnosis of my own.
The last day I was on the air, I got a phone message from Delores. She was weeping as she told me how sorry she was about my diagnosis. She knows the road I'll be walking. She wished me well. And through her tears, she thanked me again.
Maybe that's why it doesn't matter so very much that I won't be able to accept my Gracie in person. The bosses will accept my award and bring it back for me. But seriously--as nice as it is to get a fancy statue, it feels so much better to have Delores's grace and gratitude.
This month, I won't be behind the microphone on June 22nd. No matter. I can ask you through this blog to take the time to check yourself. Do those self-exams. If you're overdue, choose this day to make the call to schedule your mammograms. Nag your mothers, sisters, daughters, girlfriends to be vigilant. Demand adequate health care for yourself and for all women.
I'm not going to kid you or sugar-coat it--this breast cancer is very rough stuff. The toughest.
I so wish there would have been another way for me to learn the lessons that breast cancer will inevitably teach me.
But I can't wish it away. I can only lift my voice to remind you to take care of your body, value your health and seek the joy in life. As I am realizing, we are all just one doctor's phone call away from Never The Same.
Did you do your self exam? Urge someone else to? I would love it if you would take a minute to let me know.

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Faithfully every month I do my self check and once a year have the Dr. do a check and get the mammogram. Thanks for the reminder!

Anonymous said...

i have listened to you since day 1-i am your friend whom you've never met. :)
even though i am only 31, i exam myself every time i take a shower.
i cannot wait for you to be back on the air. you bring adult conversation into my stay-at-home mommy life. :) i don't ever go to Mpls, but i think of you each time i walk down the block and gaze upon the calming St.Croix River...it's not the one you refer to, but it's a river that gives me joy so i'm sending YOU some of that same joy. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kevyn I have been thinking about you very much lately, and you are so strong, you will pull through, and you will pass your knowledge on to so many people, you are amazing.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,
I have been experiencing my own discovery of breast cancer almost parallel with you....I'm a week or two behind in the process. My friend told me about your blog so I have been following your comments. I appreciate your honesty.
These comments were mine today, to my family:
.....(information gathered, next decision made)
Well now....I could almost have my own blog :-)

Monday - I met with the plastic surgeon today to learn about all the options available for breast reconstruction. Immediately after mastectomy or later, which is best? Oooh ...nothing pain free available...too bad! After discussing what my options were I proposed this question - "Which choice is the least painfull and has the best results?" Surprisingly an option that fit the question is best completed later....not at the same time as the mastectomy surgery. Time frame for reconstruction 3 months to 1.5 years. If you are heading for Dollywood plan on a lot of appointments to grow to that size! There are 3 to 4 followup surgeries, whatever the size. All include some level of pain. (You may be picking up on my concern about pain!) This guy was great to talk to and learn from. He was actually kind of funny. I feel comfortable now with getting the breasts removed, the tissue then examined by the pathologists, getting the chemo/radiation or whatever else they recommend and later building new breasts if I think I want them. In the mean time the worry of cancer spreading is taken away, and whatever skin and tissue damage that has to happen with chemo or radiation can get over with and I can heal. It's hard to know yet just what the follow up will be without the final pathology reports.

What's next?
Preop physical Wednesday June 27
Mastectomy Surgery June 29 Approx. hospital stay - one or two nights
Recovery - the nurses suggested I plan on taking a leave from work of approx: 4 weeks to recover from the surgery.

What I'm thinking: Early in my life I faced many big challenges, so I was sort of toughened for whatever life threw my way, but at first this cancer thing was just killing my ever hopeful spirit. Cancer scares me and there is so much to sort through to make good decisions for me. I feel better today though. Life really is good and full of wonder. I have been blessed with years of happy memories, dear friends, love of family, a great place to live and pets who look at me every single day like I am really something special! I could go on and on! I have plans for years out, and I feel certain I will be just fine .... I'm confident I'll be able to do those fun things I have on my major big "to do list". Next year Machu Picchu Peru.
So wish me luck....please send your prayers. I'll let you know how the surgery and pathology tests turn out.
Girls....get your annual mammograms....caught early cancer is very manageable.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your win :)
I wanted to tell you hi and I cant wait till you come back to the radio.
Hear ya later :)

Lisa said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you on your journey Kevyn. Today I will do my first breast self-exam, you have inspired me to take better care of myself.

Finding My New Normal said...

We are trying to get pregnant and as a result I am using computer software to chart my temps and stuff. Every month there is a reminder to do my breast self exam. Between you and Colleen on FM107 and my fertility software, I am covered. Thanks and congrats on the Gracie!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn, My 50 yr.old sister-in-law, an educated mother of 5, the youngest being 10 years old, has never had a mammogram! She's been too busy taking care of her job and her family. Today, you inspired me to email her (and I'll call her, too), tell her your story and nag her! I'll keep on her! Thank you for your honesty and for continuting to share your story with us.

You Go Girl!!

Anonymous said...

Good morning Kevyn: Yup, I have my appointment for August, and I will, as soon as I'm done with this, e-mail my "bag" friends (that's the name we have given 7 of us "girlfriends")My history absolutely demands that I have my mammogram each and every year. God Bless, Kevyn, and waiting patiently for your return to the radio. I get teary each and every time I read your blog, so thank you for writing it, and keeping everyone up on your journey. I know we all will learn something from it. Thanks again,
Audrey

Madwoman of Preserve Path said...

Well, Kevyn, I'm all set: mammogram scheduled Aug. 9. I miss you on the radio, but when you return, keep this blog, OK? You're a wonderful writer, and it's refreshing to read these honest musings. Meanwhile, I keep you in my thoughts and prayers. You're a delight.

Melody said...

Hey Kevyn...
Thanks for your wonderful words. Thanks for your urging. I turn 40 (can it be 40 already??) in September. I'm calling my doctor soon to schedule my first mammogram. Although there is no history of breast cancer in my family, I feel that this is so important. I have a daughter who will be 2 next month. Not only do I want to be around for a very long time for her, I want to be a good model of health for her. I want to teach her how to take care of herself. As she gets older you can bet I'm going to share with her the importance of self exams (something I've been very negligent in doing myself, but something I have started doing faithfull thanks to you). I'll tell her about the importance of regular check ups. I'll teach her to trust her "gut" when it comes to knowing her body. Thank you, Kevyn, for being MY teacher!

With love...
Melody

Anonymous said...

Kevyn, so true are your words, "Demand adequate health care for yourself and for all women." My mother had breast cancer but it wasn't caught early enough to prevent losing her left breast. Her surgeon said that if it was caught sooner, the outcome would have been different. WHY wasn't it caught sooner? She's on Medicare and she couldn't afford the mammogram......IF ONLY SHE'D HAVE TOLD ME. I WOULD HAVE PAID FOR IT.

Patty S. said...

I also faithfully do my self exam and am scheduled to have my yearly mammogram on July 5th. Should be interesting, because I am doing it during my workday. I am very flat chested and you wouldn't believe the contortions that my poor breasts have to do to fit in between those plates.

And as far as the Gracie? I'm planning on you winning a bunch more.

Patty

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn,

I've been an FM107 listener since day one, and I miss you.

Thank you for being so candid through your ordeal, I appreciate your willingness to share your life with "us".

I am 34, and had my first child 2 years ago. For a couple of months now I have noticed an odd sensation in my right breast. There is a small spot that is a little hard, and it feels a little like when I had clogged ducts from nursing. I've been able to write it off in my mind as just leftover stuff from nursing (of course, it has been well over a year since I've lactated).

I will be calling my Dr. in the morning to make an appointment to get it checked out. Thank you for the push.

I cross the Mississippi at least twice a day, each time I picture you out there, being strong and hanging in there, and I blow you a kiss.

Thanks again, and hope to hear you again soon.

DoLlY

Anonymous said...

Kevyn
Due to my sister having had a mastectomy and reconstruction surgery I am very dilligent (every day!) about examining my breasts. Maybe a bit overdone, eh? She has passed the 6 year mark now and is healthy. I admire your courageous attitude.
Love ya

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

My grandaughter and your daughter used to be in the same class in White Bear Lake. You introduced my daughter's singing performance at a function here in town. At the Menopause Conference at St. Kate's, I came up to speak about my daughter's comments on my quiting smoking and how much nicer I used to be when I smoked! I just turned 50 a few minutes ago and I've been reflecting about a lot of things and thinking about how long you've been an influence in my life- between your T.V. and your radio work.
I wanted to thank you for this Blog and the opportunity to share in your experience. As part of the social animals that we all are, it's so important that we reach out and help others with the scary things in life and also let them know that it's not easy for anyone.
My standard answer to many questions or expecations from others is, "I'm doing the best I can." Who can ask for any more than that? I believe you're doing the best that you can and it's pretty darn good from over here! Thanks for sharing,

Love,
Kathy Tauer

seamsbiz@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn,

I've missed you!

I thought of you today as I went around Lake Harriet with my kids. I sent you loving and healing thoughts and wishes.

It gives me chills to think of how you made so many women aware of the possibility of being symptom FREE with breast cancer. Thank you for sharing your story and keeping us posted.

I look forward to your return -- when you are ready!
Judy

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,
I am completley moved by your story. I listened to you as often as I could. I am 37 years old and I am abopted so, I have no idea about my medical history. I have 2 children, one from a previous marriage and one from a short realtionship. My son, from that previous relatipnship, has never met his Dad. I realize that I am all he has. I do not have insuarnce for myself, but I do for my children. I went in to the physician's office and requested a maamogram and he will let me make payments. Things are clear for now. Thank you for your inspiration and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Anonymous said...

Love seeing the photos of you over time. You look fabulous as a brunette.

Heather said...

Kevyn... I will be honest. I have never done a self exam. I'm 33 and frankly, I think it can't happen to me. And I'm afraid of what I might find. But I think you've helped me realize the not knowing could be worse. I've always tried to take care of myself but cancer scares the hell out of me and it scares me to check for it. Tomorrow I will be a big girl, and I will check.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn - thank you. Thank you for your diligence, your honesty, your upbeat personality. You are truely an inspiration to all who hear you speak and read your words.

I've missed your voice on the radio and look forward to Monday. Good luck to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn,
I wrote about a week ago - it has been a long time since my last mammo, can't remember actually, but it is finally scheduled for Monday. I was so embarrased to discuss when my last one was with my doctor. He compassionately said, "We are a no-judge facility." That was nice. I found it nearly impossible to get an appointment soon enough, though. The wait for a mammogram is absolutely absurd! Months!I 'spose that's good - maybe it means so many women are getting them. What puzzles me is that you seem to have been so methodical about self breast exam and mammograms. How could yours have been missed? I still think of you every time I cross the river. You're in my thoughts and prayers. Deb

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn: my mammogram is all set for the day I get back from vacation: July 17. I'm sending your blog to a group of friends.

One time I always think of you: crossing the ole Miss on my way to the St. Paul Farmer's Market each Saturday. Hope you get to enjoy that great place soon.

Anonymous said...

i'm calling my momma right away. thanks for the reminder kevyn.

Bri said...

I was so proud of you and Colleen, the first time I heard you do your on-air breast exams. I do them more than once a month because my mother had breast cancer and I am one of those vigilant, overly diligent Virgo types. But I did make the call for my annual mammogram when I heard that you are in this struggle. Thank you for the push. (It was due this month, and the appt. will be in mid-July, so I'm barely late, but a bit late.)

Kevyn, I'm loving that you are blogging. I miss your voice, but I honor your silence too. And then I just read that you were on the air yesterday? Wow.

So many of your life lessons are wise ones for us in any challenging time of our lives. I'm struggling with a romantic breakup right now, and I am gaining strength from your blog somehow. Thank you, and much strength and faith coming back your way.

Hugs,
Brina

Anonymous said...

Kevyn:

Your blog is wonderful! I am undergoing chemo only have 2 more treatments! I am from Pennsylvania and was told about your blog on a breast cancer support group.

I think your on air breast exams are a great way to bring attention to the fact that we have to know our bodies! My cancer was caught by mammogram, I should have caught it myself if I was doing self exams. I was lucky that it was stage 1, but it was agressive so I am undergoing the whole 9 yards of chemo and rads.

Keep up the blog, and congrat on the gracie and getting back on air.

Kathie

Anonymous said...

I've been following your progress, and just read this post. It's past the 22nd, and I do regular self exams, but I'm behind on my mammograms. I just called and made my appointment. Thanks for the reminder and best wishes for good health!

Anonymous said...

Another major part of Web Search Engine, in comparison with the market, you will get more traffic.
Liaison: web search engine specialists liaise with many different
parties, hence, they must lead from front because of their site
well optimized for search engines. But if you study a wide range of clients.
Then get online yourself and do your own researchabout the organization, about the techniques they implement so that you can proceed
to establishing your own plan. The blog by Matt Cutts.

Feel free to visit my web site :: seo work