Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cloth hankies

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Daddy's Girls - 1961

I have three pair of pants that I can comfortably wear right now, and in a pocket of each is a cloth handkerchief.
The Mark of Jill.
My mother, Jill Burger, was ready when she arrived. Mom's got a DVD player in her car, wears cross-trainers on her feet and has finally shifted from getting her hair done at the 'salon' rather than the 'beauty shop.' I tell you this so that you will understand that my 72-year-old mother is about as progressive as she needs to be. However, some old habits die hard. When it comes to catching tears, Mom still prefers a dainty square of embroidered cotton to a paper tissue.
And she came well prepared, loaded up on hankies. And tears.
We cried together. I find myself in tears several times a day right now. I have never been much of a weepist; maybe that's why it wears me out. I am astonished at how my eyes seem to be able to endlessly re-fill, like a hole dug at the edge of the shore that the water will always seep into. I cry from fear, from confusion, from feeling unfamiliar in my body. From mourning my old life and old body that I failed to adequately appreciate. Surely some of the medication that I've been taking contributes to my emotional upheaval as well.
Watching my parents watch me struggle also makes me cry. As a parent, I can understand how heartbreaking it must be for them to watch their daughter in pain. I try not to feel guilty about being the source of their sorrow. Midway into a conversation, my father's voice goes all hoarse and he can't look at me. We stare at our feet and silently gulp and swallow, both trying to be brave for the other.
Mom and Dad left yesterday. They, along with my sister and her son, have been here from out-of-state. They all arrived the day after I got home from the hospital following surgery.
This family visit was planned long before I had even scheduled The Mammogram That Changed Everything. They arrived to watch my lovely and talented daughter (the five footer) graduate from high school.
The graduation and cancer surgery coming in tandem reinforces my long held belief that Life Is A Bowl Of Succotash. Tastes and textures always come in mixed up quantities. I've experienced so many raw emotions in the past few weeks, but have also had the soaring pride as I thought of my daughter's graduation. She marched for her diploma two days after I got out of the hospital. As she took this step into her future, I was there in spirit, cheering her on. I was happy that she had so many other proud family members preesent to applaud her accomplishment.
Prepapring for this event, we have been putting together the requisite Picture Boards, with a photograph of every signficant event of her life. How fast it goes, I kept thinking, as I thumbed through baby faces and school portraits and help her select the snap shots that are the freeze frames of her life.
Going through the albums, I stumbled into pictures of my own high school graduation. I was 17 in 1974; my parents, Al and Jill Burger, were 38 and 39. Got the mandatory snap with the grandparents. And, No, those aren't extensions.They won't be invented for years!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Jackson, Ohio. 1974.


I was particularly pleased that my sister Mollie was in the audience for the graduation. Mollie lives in Florida and I was particularly pleased that she was her for part of my recovery. A few days after returning home, I felt so miserable--tender, stiff, and itchy/sticky, with my hair hanging in snarled hanks. I longed to feel clean and refreshed. My doctor had prohibited bathing, so Mollie suggested that she could help me shower. Although reluctant to accept her offer, I agreed.
She stripped down and stepped right into the stall with me to ease my shakiness. Mollie is the only person in the world whom I would have allowed to take such intimiate care of me, the only person to whom I could reveal my bandaged and stitched-together shell.
I could only lean against the tile. Mollie's movements were both gentle and brisk. While she washed me, we talked about the shower that had been in our hotel room in Cancun: it had a shower head the size of a dinner plate, multiple jets shooting out of the wall and a window that looked out on the aquamarine sea. Our mother would have called it "real snazzy."
Just a little over a month ago, in mid April, I had been lucky enough to accompany some FM107.1 listeners on a girlfriend getaway to Mexico. I had been able to take Mollie as my guest. We had shared five days of frivolous fun--swimming, dining, walking on the beach, taking turns reading in the hammock on our private terrace, sharing a massage. We spent hours in relaxed conversation, reminiscing about our childhood and sharing plans and dreams for our children and the future. We spent most of our time at the resort and with others in our party, but the two of us left the property together one morning for a scuba trip. In masks and flippers, we had floated, face down and holding hands, admiring the silent world of darting, bright colored fish and coral shaped like brains and trees and fans.
Those five days of togetherness seemed so distant from this visit. I'm so glad we took that trip, we told each other, over and over. Right now, it seems like a lovely dream, the kind you want to hold onto after you wake up.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Cancun, Mexico. April 2007.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kevyn - how I love the way you write! I'm so sorry that you'd had to travel this journey now but how wonderful if a book were born from it. You will definitely help many with your beautiful writings here! God bless you!

Anonymous said...

Just a reminder: Chocolate helps heal the body and soul. Actually, that's a well-known fact.
L&L,
us

Anonymous said...

Simply Beautiful!

Ready for work, ready your blog which has been part of my morningritual since your journey started.

Now my make-up is running with my tears.

Simply Beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

oops.

Reading your blog which has been

part of my morning ritual

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,
I feel like my best friend is hurting so much...Thanks for the candid thoughts as you recover from this bump in the road. We all know it could be us just as easily. I love that your sister is so close to you that you can shower together! I wish I had a sister...Thinking of you with warm and loving thoughts.

Finding My New Normal said...

Thank you for sharing the photos of your past (I love your hair and your grandpa's (Or was that your father?) bow tie!

Thank you too for sharing yourself with us. It's a real honor and privilege to see this through your eyes.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn

You are so loved! I am honored to be able to cheer you on from the banks of the river. Can't wait to wrap you up in a warm towel and give you hot chocolate when you get back to shore. Keep your head up and swim like the dickens!

Anonymous said...

Kevyn-
Thank you for being so candid. You inspire me so much throught your beautiful honest writing. My thoughts and prayers are with you daily.

Beth- one of your many faithful listeners and friends

Miranda said...

Wow- I hope I'm not the only one that just sat here after reading that. Wanting to say something but not being able to find the right words. Words that would seem even close to the level and deepness of the ones just read. Thinking that the things I would like to write seemed so 1st grade.. The things that happen in life are constantly shaping who we are, sometimes those things are small and change us little by little with out us even being aware. But other times there are huge things that we know will change us forever,this is one of those things Kevyn. You know you will be changed but what you are on the inside, the things that mean the most to you, what you believe in and your values will always be there. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers until you come back. We will all be waiting for you!

Unknown said...

Kevyn,

I miss you so much - it's just not the same not hearing your voice every morning. You have such a gift of putting words together so that the listener knows exactly what you mean - such a talent.

How blessed you are to have such an amazing sister to help you through all the journeys of life!!

You are such a brave woman - I'm very proud of you!!

All the best,
Amy

Patty S. said...

Be kind and gentle to yourself right now, if you feel like crying, that's what you need to do.

Alexis talked about going to the Gracie's without you--next year when you win again, you'll have to take us all with you via your blog.

Once you're feeling better, you might want to start looking for a publisher. Kevyn, I think you have another career ahead of you as a writer. You've certainly moved me with everything you've written.

Patty

Anonymous said...

Kevyn, as we read your blog, we are all there with you, crying, worrying, wondering, hoping, healing, and praying for our dear friend, and we are waiting, waiting for the morning we can once again hear your voice on the radio, making us laugh, making us think, and making us thankful for you. I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

kevin, I hope each day you are getting alittle stronger ans a little happier.I know it's hard to believe life will ever seem normal again but it will. Three years agoI was in your place and I cried buckets of tears, not thinking I'd survive but I did and you will also

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

Oh - I have been where you are at. I was going through the same crying bit just 10 months ago. Know that it will get better. You are TOUGH, and you have many people who care about you, and are there to help.

Thanks for keeping us posted on your recovery. Wishing you the very best.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

Thank you for sharing your story...you are a brave soul....stay strong and you will win this one! I was very touched by your sharing of the story of your sister bathing you....it brought tears to my eyes...so loving. Take care.
Jenny

Anonymous said...

Kevyn, I too had "tissue" cut away just this last Wed. and I thought of you. Your throughts, words and emotions gave me the moxy to stare the nurses and doctors in the face and command that we get this thing started. Courage is a living breathing thing that lives in all of us. Thank you for sharing that part of you with the rest of us.

CC

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have such great family, they will keep you strong when you feel weak.

Anonymous said...

Wow, Kevyn,

You are so good at putting into words this scary trip to Cancer Town. You are speaking for may women who have gone through this. Me included!

You HAVE TO WRITE A BOOK! (Well, not immediately, but sometime.)

Deb

Anonymous said...

Kevyn, watch "White Christmas" with Bing Crosby. There's a song about sisters in there that is funny and cute. My sister and I sing it to each other all the time.

Thanks again for sharing. You're reaching and changing peoples lives in such a positive way.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn-

Sorry about those typos -- I'm at the Science Library and am rushing 'cuz I use the library's computer -- Denise