Saturday, July 7, 2007

M/N-obility

In my ever-more-inked-up appointment book, you now find the jotting "PT."
I will have ongoing physical therapy for my right arm and shoulder. Because of the surgery, the removal of lymph nodes and the reconstruction, my upper body is about as stiff as I figured I'd be at 90. I often continue to feel a deep ache that stretches from my chest wall into my very center. Nerves and muscles were altered or cut by the surgeon's scalpel and my innards, as we hicks say, have been disrupted.
To add insult to this injury, I now have a bona fide Jiggly Grandma Upper Arm. (Let me quickly add only one of them--the right arm--has gone all old lady on me.)
The good news is that with some focused attention, it should all go back like it used to be.
Essentially, it won't be any worse than it ever was.
So that I will continue to be able to lift my clean dishes out of the dishwasher and onto the top shelf of the cupboard, I now do a series of exercises several times a day and will have multiple sessions with a physical therapist.
Before my first PT appointment, I filled out the several pages of a health questionairre. One query asked, "What is your goal in coming here?"
And then I wrote something that would have been a typo if I would have been typing. (Er, excuse me. Don't want a Grandma vocabulary to go with that arm. I should have said...not 'typing'...but 'keyboarding.'
(BTW--how come today's typos aren't called keyboardos?)
(Sorry for the digression.)
(And all the parentheses.)
Back to the my goal for physical therapy.
I meant to write that my goal was "Mobility."
Instead I wrote that my goal was "Nobility."
And as I smiled ruefully to myself and scratched out a correction, my mind seized onto that word...nobility...and I immediately thought of my Grandma Shock.
(Yep, that was her real name. My mother's maiden name was Shock.)
(Are parentheses on sale or something?)
Now I'm going to digress about my grandmother for a bit, so here is an illustration to break up the text and make the blog somewhat visually stimulating and also to provide you a mental picture of her.
This is a photograph of me (circa 1989) with my beloved grandmothers. This is the back porch of the house I grew up in in Jackson, Ohio, where my parents still live.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

From left to right: Dorothy Shock, my maternal grandmother. Jill Burger, my mother. Auguste Burger, my paternal grandmother. And that's me with the five-footer when she was a two-footer. (She had just gotten up and I can almost smell that hot-baby-post-nap scent in that sweet fold in her neck!)
(In most pictures of me that were taken in this era, I sport a heinous perm and wear black acid washed jeans. No kidding. And the saddest part is, I thought it looked bitchin!)


I come from good peasant stock as perhaps the faces in this picture reveal. On both sides I am descended from a hard working, plain speaking, decent lot. We have no airs or pedigrees or strings of numbers behind our names...and we admit to a bit of suspicion of those who do.
That said, I now know that I am descended from nobility. Yeah, me, the gym teacher's daughter from the sticks: I am of noble birth.
At the time this picture was taken, my Grandma Shock was a 26 year breast cancer survivor.
She was diagnosed in 1963. She once told me that when she found the lump, my own grandfather told her to ignore it.
She did not. She was not the Ignore It type.
In 1963, there were no pink ribbons, no races, no support groups. No special cancer clinics, no reconstruction surgery, no hopeful clinical trials. Women were called 'victims' not 'survivors.' Furthermore, The words "breast" or "cancer" were seldom spoken aloud and never in tandem. Well bred people and newspaper obituaries didn't even mention cancer when it was the cause of death; it was termed "a long illness."
Grandma Shock's surgery was what they called a radical mastectomy. From practically under her chin to her waist, from her sternum to her bicep, every corpuscle the scalpel could find was cut away. They took the tissue under her arm as well, including all of her lymph nodes.
That was followed by an intensive course of radiation.
Go back and look at the picture. Notice Grandma Shock's right hand.
She could wear the prosthesis in her bra and conceal her poor scarred chest, but she could not hide the ravages of the side effects of her disease. Because she had no lymph nodes, she lived with constant lymphedema. Her right hand and arm were always swollen. That word hardly describes it--her arm was bigger and heavier than her thigh. If she got a cold, it would be throb with fever. It was uncomfortable every day.
And embarrassing. I have very few pictures where you can see the swelling. She was quick to turn her body so that the offending arm was hidden or tucked behind her back.
Yet she was always fashion conscious and was proud to be a little bit vain. She had a difficult time finding clothes--long sleeves were often too tight to contain her arm and short sleeves revealed the unsightly condition. "Oh, this arm!" she would say in exasperation during a fruitless shopping expedition.
That was about as much complaining as I ever heard from her.
I wish I had more details of exactly what she experienced with her breast cancer. She wasn't afraid to talk about it, but she never brought it up. It was simply part of her life. I never heard her feel sorry for herself; she always seemed so grateful that she lived despite losing her breast. I think she found it a hard bargain but a fair trade.
I now contemplate the fear that must have been her daily companion. She had no chemotherapy to lengthen her odds for a long life, no regular scans to scout for a recurrence, not even a mammogram to provide proof that her other breast was not a time bomb. For a whole generation of breast cancer survivors, the high tech imaging tht we take for granted was the stuff of sci-fi, about as realistic as a robot maid.
Instead of medical reassurance, she had faith and grit. And she cultivated the ability to seek and find joy in the day...in a snapdragon, an excellent canasta hand, a visit with family.
My grandmother was a housewife feminist, who had a charter subscription to Ms. magazine. We had a summer--I think it was the year I was 9--where we played miniature golf every time we were together. She loved James Bond movies and gardening and the daily crossword puzzle in the newspaper.
She was not the Salty Old Dame kind of Grandma, the sort who would flip the falsie around like a Frisbee. With her well-modulated voice and shy smile, she had a kind of elegance, a dignity. She was instinctively what few women aspire to be today: she was a lady.
We were not much alike, but we were deeply devoted to one another. I have felt so close to her in the past few weeks. Her spirit hovers near me and frequently comforts me.
I was so lucky to be her grandchild. So lucky to still have her alive and vital in my memory bank. She lived 35 years after her diagnosis and mastectomy surgery. She did the crossword puzzle on the morning of the day she died, at age 93. It was not cancer that claimed her.
How I wish I had asked more direct questions about her experience. How did she bear it? How did she come to peace with it? How did she not become bitter or fearful or neurotic?
How did she remain so noble?
Honestly, I would give anything I own...everything I own...for fifteen minutes in her presence, to hold her dear inflated hand and have a woman-to-woman conversation with her.
But this is all impractical yearning and neither of us, my Grandma Shock and I, are impractical women.
If I pause, comb my memory and really think about it, I know that even if I don't have the answers to my specific questions, she showed me what I need to know.
How I need to be.
I have her brave example. If she could face it in the unsympathetic early 60's, then I can certainly do it now.
She endured. I am of her line. I will too.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

And here's one more photograph (circa 1990) to again break up the text. This time I have the six footer and the five footer with me. And, sadly, there is photographic evidence of my grave fashion errors of the previous decade. Why in the world am I smiling??

17 comments:

Jessica said...

Kevyn
I just wanted to say thank you for your post. It brought me to tears reading about your grandmother - as I had almost the same situation with my grandmother. She was diagnosed with Breast Cancer back in the mid 70's. Where like you said, there were no pink ribbons, people didn't talk about it, it just wasn't mentioned. She had a mastecomy of her right breast and then 5 years later, she found another lump in her left breast. The doctor decided to "wait" it out. I don't know the details (as I was only 2 at the time) but from what my mother told me my grandmother didn't want to wait it out, but the doctor wouldn't do anything. She ended up having another mastecomy and had 32 lymph nodes removed. She wore the nylons on her arms to keep the swelling down. In most of the pictures that I have of her and I, she is wearing them. It was normal for me to just sit on the floor with her, as she couldn't play with me because she was always so sick.

It's strange I almost felt like I was reading a story about my grandmother. I am so happy that your grandmother got to spend all the extra time with you and your family after diagnosis and surgery. My grandmother lost her battle after 7 years was only 58 years old. She is why I walk, scrapbook and spread the word about breast cancer.

Thank you for sharing your stories, your journey and your life with all of us. I truly, truly appreciate it, more than I can express.

Anonymous said...

You do look bitchin' in acid wash. You make me laugh. Grandma is with you....maybe she's wearing black jeans as well :0)

Keep strong-

Donna and Abby

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

I am so happy to hear you back on the radio. You have been in my prayers.

Lisa

Anonymous said...

I just love you Kevyn Burger. Hang in there....with the beginning of this chemo will come the end of this nightmare...Next year at this time you'll be all done!

I hope you and your family take a well deserved summer vacation in 2008~

I look forward to reading your entries. They make me laugh and cry.

Amy said...

Oh, Kevyn, what's not to smile about? The future 5- & 6-footers are snuggled in close, & your grandmas surround you!

Patty S. said...

Nobility is a fine goal, and I think that Grandma Schock is right there to help you to achieve your goal.

Best of luck on Thursday. We'll all be thinking of you. ((((hugs)))

Patty

Anonymous said...

Kevyn,

So glad you are back on the air! One always wonders if we are gone, will anyone really miss us? And sadly, this is not the way one wants to find out. But, let me assure you - you would be missed!

This "M/N-obility" blog entry really articulates the thought pattern of a breast cancer "survivor." All of the questions that you pose, and send out into the void...to be answered by only those who have walked this path, or they simply go unanswered. Thoughts that so many of us never have to think, so many questions we may never have to ask ourselves, but rather go on about our lives as if we are invincible and it will never happen to us. Watching from the outside, so to speak. But all the while, secretly -- hoping -- we in fact never have to face these issues.

My Mother is a breast cancer survivor. 2 years have now gone by (she did not have to have a mastectomy she had her "lump" removed and underwent radiation) and as some of your listeners have said; there does come a time when you don't think of it on a daily basis...it is however foremost in her mind every time she has some other aliment.

And as you so eloquently put it, "There were no pink ribbons, no races, no support groups. No special cancer clinics, no reconstruction surgery, no hopeful clinical trials. Women were called 'victims' not 'survivors.'" Luckily for you, my mother and so many other men and women, all of these are available.

Life is ever changing, but one thing is constant with "Breast Cancer Survivors" and that is: you are never the same.

I think when bad things happen to "good people," we so often ask: "why me," but if we can find the silver lining (there is always a silver lining) in the bad thing and be grateful for it - that is when freedom comes!

My hope is that you find the silver lining in this journey down the river you are floating upon. I

Thank you for always making my day a bit brighter :-)

Anonymous said...

Kevyn--
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. It brings us all closer to you--- Tomorrow as you start chemo---feel us all around you--You will get through all of this just fine. Be strong and brave.
Love ya-
step-daughter Kim

Anonymous said...

Your story touched my heart. I had a mother-in-law and a godmother who went through breast cancer treatment in the 60's. Only my mother-in-law survived. She has since passed away. How I wish she were here to share her wisdom with me as I travel along the same path. My thoughts and prayers as you start chemo. Do what the doctors and especially nurses say and you will get through it.

Miranda said...

Kevyn,
Thanks for all your great posts. I think the pictures are a nice addition. I think that you are smiling because you look bitchin' in those black acid wash jeans! And it was nice to hear you quote Atmosphere this morning :)

Anonymous said...

Dearest Kevyn - Your memories of your grandma brought my grandma to mind. She was a 50 year survivor of breast cancer! She was diagnosed in 1932. She said she felt the lump for a year! She had a similar severe mastectomy like your grandmother. However, she did not have the limphodema, but she did have little strength in that arm. She had radioactive capsules implanted in her chest cavity. She had a wonderful attitude that kept her going. She was followed by the U of M because she was a breast cancer survivor from an era that usually cancer was a death sentence.

Regarding Harry Potter books. My darling daughter read the original Harry Potter to me when I first got home from the hospital after my surgery, in 1999. If you ever need to escape from the world's woes, it's during that recovery time. We've continued reading them together out loud. She's now almost 22. We snuggle up and read the books when she's in town. Good memories.

Anonymous said...

Kevyn~
I have been thinking of you today
as you experience your first chemo.
In 1989 I faced my first chemo treatment.
As I remember, it was the most terrifying time of my cancer journey. Once beyond that day, I relaxed into my needed treatment.
I do not have your gift for expression, but want you to know I
am wishing you the very best.

Anonymous said...

An eloquent, insightful and beautiful piece about your two grandmothers. And the photos add so much. I look to my grandmothers, who never had cancer but faced other challenges, for courage, inspiration and grit. Women have been so brave, haven't they? I must be the same, as I face my own breast cancer, diagnosed very close to when yours was. We just need to carry on their spirit and their legacy. Thank you KB.

Anonymous said...

Good Morning Kevyn,
I'm thinking of you today.
My grandmaw was a cancer survivor of 50 years. She had to go to a 'sanitorium' in the South to have her mastectomy - no chemo, no radiation. What a strong beautiful never complaining woman.
I'm grateful to you Kevyn - even for the tears that came with beautiful memories of my dear grandmaw.
God love you and bless you and heal you really fast!

Anonymous said...

Regarding physical therapy for your affected arm - during treatment after my surgery, I had to reach as far as I could with the affected arm. I'm 5'3" tall. So my goal was to reach the top of my son's head. He's 6'3". So, Kevn, as one of your stretching exercises, mark a spot on the wall indicating your son's height. Stretch for that goal. If you are taller than me, make the goal higher. Then when you see their name by the mark on the wall, you also get some incentive to reach!

Love and gentle hugs as you are healing.

A chemo hint: drink all the water they tell you to. It flushes the chemicals out of your body. I know - it's not fun. But it is good for you.

You are in my prayers. I hope you can feel them wrapped around you as you go down this road. I was so self-centered and frightened during chemo - I wish I could have been able to reach out to the other people in for chemo. It would have made the time go faster. I might have made some new friends during that time.

Take care and blessings and God's quickest healing for you.

A long time listener and Fellow Breast Cancer Survivor (Conqueror)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kevyn,

I know that arm! The one on your Grandma Shock, my paternal grandma had the same one only it was on the left side. We never talked to grandma about her cancer or the size of her arm. It seemed to be a source of shame - both the cancer and the ravages of the cure.

Back in the day, after the surgery the doctors told my grandpa that grandma had about 5 years left. Grandpa and the family decided not to tell grandma the grave news, they could do that back then. I wonder what would have happened had they told her that diagnosis. Would she have died in 5-years? Or would she have lived for the 30+ years not dying from cancer in her 70's (still to soon for this granddaughter).

You are in my thoughts and prayers. You are talked about in our family as if you are an acquaintance of ours. Kevyn, you are thought of fondly. Good peasant stock is strong and noble we can and should take pride (I come from the same stock). Oh, I think we all looked bitchin' in those acid wash jeans and our perms - did you ever have the mall hair? :) Take care.

Nancy

Anonymous said...

Kevyn, I tell my daughter almost everyday that she's comes from a long line of very strong women which means a gift of empowerment. As my grandmother used to say "Pretty is as pretty does". (no reference to the bitchin' jeans) I think at this point, you're very "pretty". ;0)